Need some information on Flex fuel engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some information on Flex fuel engine

Stick4503

Reaction score
City, State
Winder, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 & 2004Explorer 4x4
Ok I bought a 2004 explorer that is vin K, Flex Fuel, 4.0 SOHC.

However, I began working on it after the purchase and have found that the engine is not the original one.

How can I tell if this engine is still a Flex Fuel engine and if its not, does that make a difference in any of the future parts I may need for tune ups and regular maintenance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe check the numbers on the sticker on the valve cover, without taking anything apart, I cant think of a way to check. If you can get an angle to see the fuel injectors, try to see what color they are. Pretty sure the only difference is going to be in the injectors/fuel rail/upper intake. And maybe not even the upper intake. I just put my flex fuel motor in a non flex Ranger, just changed everything from the injectors up. The Long block(main block assembly and heads) should interchange flex fuel or not.

thanks I'll check on that.

Chances are good that they swapped the correct parts when installing the engine if it was a non flex fuel engine. I think the injector rail is different enough that the fuel line wouldn't be in the exact needed location or injector harness plugs may be different. But you never know. I've seen some cobbled together rigging jobs done.... hope you find what you need and they did it right for you.

Based on this ^^^ idea, find another flex fuel Explorer and ask to compare engines.
Become a parking lot troll at your local Walmart store looking at Explorers vin codes. Just don't get shot or arrested.

Back