Need some opinions please.

Abba

Reaction score
City, State
South River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer
Hey guys.
I have a 91 X, 104k miles, and lately it's been starting a bit rough. This happens especially in the morning, but also if it's been sitting for a little while after being warmed up normally and driven for a while. I can goose the gas, and for about 10 seconds or so it acts like it's misfiring, but then it's smooth and normal.

It also did something weird, that I've never experienced before. I was rounding a curve at around 45, lightly accelerating, when the engine chugged a little and the speedometer started swinging around up to 65, and back down to 40. This only lasted a few seconds, but I definitely noticed.

I pulled over a few minutes later and popped the hood, and everything looked fine. Engine revved smoothly, and fluids were ok. Tranny fluid smelled a little, but not horrific, and it was at a good level.

I recently changed the plugs and wires (thanks for the write up on the passenger side. ;) ), changed my oil, and put some Seafoam. I'm leery to do anything else more costly without narrowing it down a little, although as usual, some of the threads here have some great tips on DIY fixes and maintenance that could remedy my problem.

Has anyone heard of this before?
It might have done it again today, but I'm not sure, because if it did, it was very slight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, one more thing.
It's been going through oil lately. Sometimes I'll get the "check oil" light come on 2-3 weeks after an oil change, and the dip stick will read "add one quart".
The last time this happened a couple weeks ago I threw in a qt of Lucas Oil.

I don't know if that has any bearing on my original post, but wanted to mention it anyway. The Oil gauge never strays far from normal, no matter what the dip stick or idiot light says.

Likewise, ever since I bought the beast last year with 64k original miles on it, the coolant system was filled with a brown sludge. A couple months ago, again thanks to a walkthrough on this awesome sight, I changed the heater core (20 minutes, as compared with 2 whole days on my old '01 Suzuki Grand Vitara) and flushed out the coolant system for 4 hours, filling it up, running it hot, draining again, sometimes running the engine for a while with the hose pouring fresh water into the top of the radiator and the various other hoses as it poured out the bottom orifices.

By the time I was done, it was relatively clear in there, and I poured fresh coolant and filled the system. Of course, the temp gauge still does not work properly, as it's always a bit below normal, but the heat works great.

Anyway, just trying to give as much background as possible. I don't know what's pertinent, so forgive my verbosity.

I can goose the gas, and for about 10 seconds or so it acts like it's misfiring, but then it's smooth and normal.
-Sounds like you crossed a wire on accident. Get a Haynes and double check. It's easy to happen as the locations that the wires plug into on the coil pack (Fords distributor for these vehicles) don't match up directly with the engine.

the speedometer started swinging around up to 65, and back down to 40.
Sounds like the speedo cable is worn out. Do a search, you'll find the fix for it.

It's been going through oil lately. Sometimes I'll get the "check oil" light come on 2-3 weeks after an oil change, and the dip stick will read "add one quart".
-Uh-oh.... any leaks under the vehicle? How does the exhaust look? Bluish? How does the coolant look? Drain some out and see if it's discolored at all... Might have a headgasket going bad.

The Oil gauge never strays far from normal, no matter what the dip stick or idiot light says.
-The oil gauge isn't a real gauge, if you have like 4psi it'll read normal or something like that. A real gauge will show a lot more pressure when accelerating adn this one doesn't. There's a modification to the cluster you can do to make this a real gauge, but just check your level.

If you bought it last year with only 64,000 original miles... it might not be 64k original... could be more like 164k original... in that case there's a lot more wear and tear on the engine than you thought. I might be completely wrong, but it's something to think about. Most of these odometers only show 5 digits, they dont' show when it goes into the hundreds of thousands of miles. Mine is about to roll over for the 3rd time into the 300,000 range but it looks like there's only 80k miles.

Hey guys.
I have a 91 X, 104k miles, and lately it's been starting a bit rough. This happens especially in the morning, but also if it's been sitting for a little while after being warmed up normally and driven for a while. I can goose the gas, and for about 10 seconds or so it acts like it's misfiring, but then it's smooth and normal.

It also did something weird, that I've never experienced before. I was rounding a curve at around 45, lightly accelerating, when the engine chugged a little and the speedometer started swinging around up to 65, and back down to 40. This only lasted a few seconds, but I definitely noticed.

I pulled over a few minutes later and popped the hood, and everything looked fine. Engine revved smoothly, and fluids were ok. Tranny fluid smelled a little, but not horrific, and it was at a good level.

I recently changed the plugs and wires (thanks for the write up on the passenger side. ;) ), changed my oil, and put some Seafoam. I'm leery to do anything else more costly without narrowing it down a little, although as usual, some of the threads here have some great tips on DIY fixes and maintenance that could remedy my problem.

Has anyone heard of this before?
It might have done it again today, but I'm not sure, because if it did, it was very slight.

The misfiring could be due to a bad coil pack or wire.

As for the chugging and speedo swing. Its happened to me before, last year. It's probably just a fluke. If it happens again then you may have a problem.

Sorry, one more thing.
The last time this happened a couple weeks ago I threw in a qt of Lucas Oil.

I don't know if that has any bearing on my original post, but wanted to mention it anyway. The Oil gauge never strays far from normal, no matter what the dip stick or idiot light says.

Likewise, ever since I bought the beast last year with 64k original miles on it, the coolant system was filled with a brown sludge. A couple months ago, again thanks to a walkthrough on this awesome sight, I changed the heater core (20 minutes, as compared with 2 whole days on my old '01 Suzuki Grand Vitara) and flushed out the coolant system for 4 hours, filling it up, running it hot, draining again, sometimes running the engine for a while with the hose pouring fresh water into the top of the radiator and the various other hoses as it poured out the bottom orifices.

By the time I was done, it was relatively clear in there, and I poured fresh coolant and filled the system. Of course, the temp gauge still does not work properly, as it's always a bit below normal, but the heat works great.

Anyway, just trying to give as much background as possible. I don't know what's pertinent, so forgive my verbosity.

The oil is a bad sign. You could have a serious issue here. Put a piece of clean cardboard under your car after you drive it for a bit and let it sit there over night. If you don't have any MAJOR leaks (because seriously this thing is going to leak some oil) then your problem may be elsewhere.

If you don't think your temp gauge is registering properly, you might need to replace the thermostat. It might have gotten clogged from all that stuff that used to swim in your radiator.

Thanks or the input guys. All good things that I'll look into.
On the Wires, I changed them one at a time, literally pull the wire off the plug, replace the plug, then pull the wire off and replace that, and onto the next one. I learned that lesson a long time ago on my '74 Pontiac Ventura. :)

I can't see any oil leaks. The asphalt where I always park is clean. The exhaust might have smelled funky once or twice, but I cant be sure because I live in NJ. LOL

It can't be a MAF, can it?

Check the PCV valve and look for vacuum leaks at the vacuum tree located on the drivers side by the firewall.

Back