• Register Today It's free!

need some recommendations

Lacky01

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
well my cats are plugged up so they need to be replaced. I went to Stuarts and a new one would cost $390! :eek:

needless to say, I dont want to pay that much.

in addition, it seems that it doesn't have the original muffler, I'm not sure what it is. it's loud on the outside an inside and I suspect that it doesn't have proper back-pressure. it lacks low end torque.

So my plan is to purchase an aftermarket cat and muffler, and take it in to a local exhaust shop and have them weld it in. I hope to get done with it for less than $250 dollars. does this sound within the realm of possibility? I have yet to talk to the shop about rates and an estimate for install, since I would like to have the other parts purchased first.

now, without further-a-do...

which muffler/catalytic converter combo would you guys suggest I get?

oh, I have the 4.0 OHV and a K&N drop-in air filter.

I'm going for quiet with as much low end torque as I can get. your guys' help will be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go with a hi-flow cat. Changing to a hi-flow cat made a bigger difference on my Explorer in the way of seat of the pants power, than the hi-flow muffler I had installed first.

Sorry I don't have any brands to recommend... Search around on this site and you're sure to find some good recommendations.

Magnaflow, High-Flow cats are good ones. Depending on your preference if you'd like to retain the stock setup or replace with a universal cat. While I've only owned the SOHC the OEM style was extremely expensive. I know that a y-pipe can be fabricated and then you can install the single universal cat. I don't know the legalities on all that, but I would imagine it would still pass emissions testing.

be very careful about taking your own muffler components into a muffler shop. Almost all will jack your labor rate up to a lvl where you could have just bought the whole setup from them and saved money. I have a shop near me that sells used rebuilt mufflers installed for $30. If you have a shop like this near you, you can try to make a deal that you provide the parts and they provide the labor for a total dollar figure determined in advance.

oooh! good information guys thanks!

I think I will go in tomorrow to get an estimate without and see what they suggest I do. Ill not let them know that I have a certain dollar amount I'm shooting for. I would like to not be swindle if I can avoid it. :p:

I'll let you guys know what the plan is and I'll also get pics of my current setup, I have no clue whether its stock or not.

thanks again guys

don't go true duals if you want any torque.

I did a cat delete and had a flowmaster super 44 put on, a 3" y pipe from the cat into the flow and twin 2.5" turndowns. Do you have inspection in your state? I don't lol.

don't go true duals if you want any torque.

I did a cat delete and had a flowmaster super 44 put on, a 3" y pipe from the cat into the flow and twin 2.5" turndowns. Do you have inspection in your state? I don't lol.

I've been reading that true duals is best left for forced induction. I don't have ANY plans for something like that!

I also don't have inspections, so I think I'm just going to do whatever is the most cost effective. I'll see what they say tomorrow

its official!!!

The Explorers going in tomorrow morning to have a high-flow cat installed. I can't afford to get rid of the glasspack that is currently has but at least my cat wont be plugged up. I'm also gonna have them change the pipe size from the manifold until the glasspack from 2" to 2.25". that way, when I have money, I can just have them weld and hang whatever muffler in there with 2.25 pipe the rest of the way.

I took it into two shops and the frist thing they both said when they looked at it was "That tail pipe is way too small!"

gee thanks. :rolleyes:

but that will all be changed out in due time. I'll go ahead and post pics before and after the cat install

well thats done!

I went to Maximum Auto and they installed a Magnaflow High-flow Cat for $285. It was a little more than I was hoping to spend, but it sure beats $390 for a stock Cat.

here are some pics to prove that it happened.

0527091420.jpg

Here is the nasty glasspack. I think I want a flowmaster in there, but that thing has to go!

0527091515.jpg

and this is the finished product. They had a new guy workin on it so the welds look like crap in a handbasket, but they'll hold. :rolleyes: I've seen some fantastic work roll out of that shop, but this is just ok.

0527091542.jpg

one of these days i'll invest in a real camera instead of my cell.

and the performance is pretty good. seat of the pants feels about the same, but my throttle response is awesome! quick tight revs and (except for that glasspak) a smooth deep sound. the glasspack kinda sounds like when you put your lips loosely together and make a "ppttptpttpp" sound. I hate it.

but thats for another day.

You've already saved over $100- go buy a camera now. :D J/K!!!

It's ALWAYS time for a Best Buy run... :D

You've already saved over $100- go buy a camera now. :D J/K!!!
LMAO! that was funny...but even my expensive 10mp camera still gets ****ty shots once in a while...

you can have a 12 MP camera and still get crappy pics if it doesn't have enough light.

oh how I wish I had a Canon EOS 50D... *looks longingly off to the horizon*

You payed too much.

I paid $80 for dual 3" custom pipes into a y, welding my muffler, and turndowns.

it was the cheapest shop I could find around. but I didn't even check meineke or any other big-name places. I like helpin' my local shops when I can.

you can have a 12 MP camera and still get crappy pics if it doesn't have enough light.
Yup, you can get a 100 MP (if they existed LOL) and still get crappy pics, you'll just have huge crappy pics hahaha

I was quoted 250 for 2 aftermarket front cats plus 2.25" from the manifold to the cats, and from the cats to the rear cat...

Hmmm... 250 for TWO cats?

maybe I didn't do quite enough shopping. well I'll do a more thorough search for a good price when it come time to change the muffler.

but first, moving expenses and maybe a front suspension overhaul. It doesn't seem to be quite as stable/smooth as I think it should be. I think I should pick up the front end and check my ball joints/tie rod ends. I don't want to have to replace ball joints but I will if it helps.

I just replaced the ball joints in my friends 98 blazer
what a PITA!!!! it took me a total of like 20 hours and a few broken tools. :mad:
granted, I didn't really know what I was doing and I did it in my free time between workdays. but it was definitely a learning experience!

just for kicks and giggles, this is me workin on that Blazer.

I don't like working of chevys. it's even hard to get jackstands under them!!!

4319_93049562058_508462058_2636001_.jpg

4319_93049567058_508462058_2636002_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, but the ones that they sell, not sure if they have a brand, but are supossed to be the same thing... you can find some in ebay for $50, I'm still undecided on what to do haha not much money right now

Back