Need some serious help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some serious help

LPeach

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger
I apologize if this isn't the right place to post something like this, but here goes anyway. My 1997 Ford Ranger w/4 liter engine was leaking radiator fluid out the back top of the engine. I figured it was probably the intake manifold gasket, but rather than attempt to repair it myself (I'm a fairly competent shade tree grease monkey) I took it down to a new locally owned repair shop. Hey, they were close, convenient, local and, being new, could probably use the business. I drove the truck in, agreed to the price they estimated ($580) and left the truck for several days. I received a call that the work was complete and walked down to pick it up. Here's where the fun begins! I was told that they couldn't get it started! OK, stuff happens. The next day they call me and tell me the timing chain is broken and since it's an old truck with 140K on it, they're not responsible and it's going to cost an additional $700 to fix. Should they get started? I said NO, paid my bill (the $580) and had it towed to another shop who replaced a sheared timing chain gear bolt. Sadly, it cost me $1200 for the repair and the tow. I'm now taking the first shop to small claims court for the second bill. It's my feeling that somebody f..ked up and they should be held responsible for damage incurred unrelated to the original problem. At this time I need experienced mechanics, preferably with credentials, to provide information that I can present at the hearing supporting my claim that the accidental or intentional damage should have been their responsibility to repair gratis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recommend you get that info from the shop that did the second repair. They had hands on inspection of the broken truck. Anyone else will simply be speculating.

Thought that as well, but he was a bit non-committal and I figured the more opinions I could through about the better off I'd be.

It's going to be pretty hard to prove that an intake manifold gasket replacement caused the timing chain gear bolt to shear off. It just doesn't make sense mechanically. Coincidence perhaps?

Timing chain issues on the SOHC engine are as common as a burned out light bulb. If I pay a painter to paint my walls, and the light blows while turning it on to see the new paint, I can't lame the painter for the light bulb. ;)

I don't see how the intake gasket repair could effect the timing chains in any way.

I believe that it was no coincidence and most of you probably think so as well. My guess is that somebody ran the engine without sufficient coolant or lubrication or left something (a wrench) lying about where it shouldn't have been (for some reason the first shop also replaced a valve cover "because it needed it"). I just don't know if the judge knows anything about automotive mechanics and without more weaponry I'm afraid the hearing is just going to be a p..ssing match between two parties-- me and them. What would it take to shear this bolt? I've got the old bolt and it's one tough piece of steel. The engine has to be running doesn't it? Ergo, it ran.

" If I pay a painter to paint my walls, and the light blows while turning it on to see the new paint, I can't lame the painter for the light bulb. ;)"

True, but if he knocked down and smashed that $1200 crystal chandelier with the ladder you might not be quite so nonchalant. ;)

I am not sure whatever you read here could be used as "weaponry" at the court. It will still be your words even if you get it from here. You need an "expert witness " in some way but I am not sure if the second shop wants to get involved in this. I wonder if it would have been smarter not to take the truck back.

I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on.

Two thoughts crossed my mind at the time of the decision to have the truck towed out. The first was that I didn't want this shop to somehow find a way to further accidentally damage things; but more importantly, what's to keep a repair shop from intentionally damaging something on a vehicle simply to pad the repair bill. After all, they already have possession of the vehicle (with a mechanics lien as a given), so who (besides me LOL) wouldn't authorize pretty much whatever it takes to make it roadworthy again. My paying the $700 to them would be giving my stamp of approval on what could be rather shady behavior.

Two thoughts crossed my mind at the time of the decision to have the truck towed out. The first was that I didn't want this shop to somehow find a way to further accidentally damage things; but more importantly, what's to keep a repair shop from intentionally damaging something on a vehicle simply to pad the repair bill. After all, they already have possession of the vehicle (with a mechanics lien as a given), so who (besides me LOL) wouldn't authorize pretty much whatever it takes to make it roadworthy again. My paying the $700 to them would be giving my stamp of approval on what could be rather shady behavior.

this is why I do nearly 100% of my own repairs, but i'm lucky, I have the skill, tools and time to do them. on the rare occasion I don't feel like fixing something myself I have a trusted, extremely reasonable, mechanic I've known for years.

Back