Need some spring help....

Gadget X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 5-speed
Ok, I've searched quite a bit, and haven't been able to find the info I'm looking for yet. I'm wanting to "upgrade" the Ex from stock to eventually have between 5.5" to 8" of suspension lift, 33s, and maybe 4.13s with some sort of locker. My problem now is not having the money to do any of this properly yet! I am, however, wanting to soften up the front end a little, as just driving over a speed bump right now will practically give me whiplash! the front suspension doesn't give at all! I'm wondering if there are any springs that I can scavenge from the pull-a-part that would be a little softer to soak up the bumps better, that I could swap in until I can afford to do the work that I'm looking at. If so, what makes/ models/ years/ etc. should I be looking to get the front springs from? The rear feels pretty good, it's just the front I'm having "issues" with. Not looking for springs that will raise the front (a little bit won't hurt, though!) just to make it softer. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think you should look into some new shocks. as for coils, you could look into using springs from an early bronco. you would need to set up a lower coil mount and modify the upper bucket mount, this info can be found using the search button. or you could purchase a set of 2" springs from skyjacker. thats what i am using now, they ride better than stock. they were only about 150 and do a shackle (about 50-75 depending on where you get them) in the rear. would cost you under 225 for a 2" lift.

I'm not really looking to do any lift right now, saving my pennies to do it right! Just looking for some quick-swap springs that are a little softer than the ones that came stock. My shocks are good.

Oh come on! Nobody here knows anything about compatible springs that I could throw on the ex to make the front a little softer without lifting it any?

maybe i have an idea, go to local junkyard and measure out some coils springs from other makes and models, and see if any of those fit, i know alot of Chevies use coils front and back, maybe a set of them will do the trick for cheap,

that is why i suggested the junkyard so you can compare, maybe like 80's, pontiac grand prix or something like that ,
maybe caprice ,

Thanks for the idea, I'll look into that when I go to the junkyard next! I'll post up what I find so someone else can benefit from the research!

Late 70's (75-79) f-150 springs are softer than an exploders and don't cause any lift. If I was changing springs I'd do f150 perches too for 2 inches in the front and throw some shackles in the rear for the 2" of lift for under 100 bucks. Those parts can always be taken off and sold later if you do build up more

Back