need some tranny advice | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need some tranny advice

Be sure to keep us updated on how long till you have more problems and need to pull it.

The main factor in keeping a 4R70W alive is heat management. You need to keep the fluid nice and cool throughout its life. Any more than about 200*F and you're wearing it out prematurely. Fortunately, they're not horribly expensive to rebuild and a J-mod or B&M shift kit will increase longevity as well.

Be sure to keep us updated on how long till you have more problems and need to pull it.

I will do that. Summer is here again, so pulling the boat will be a nice test... probably this weekend.

as requested....UPDATE: It is now mid-July 2018 (263K miles, 20K since this repair) and I had a recent tranny issue. Got another thread going on it. Not positive what it is, or if it is.... The "OD-off" light was blinking, but no real operation issues with the tranny. Not the same issue as here. Took it to Good-Year and they pulled the codes and cleared them for $90. :banghead:
The light went out and has been out now for 3 weeks and 1 full tank of gas, 2 trips pulling the boat to the lake and the light is still out. :chug:

I don't think it is the spring again so this thread remains repaired.

Back