Need some updated advice on shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need some updated advice on shocks

MikeCallery

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT Tri-Coat
At 115k miles, it might be time for me to start considering new shocks, though I have to say, the shocks "seem" to be fine. If they are going, it is minor and the ride is a little rougher than it used to be.

That said, everyone seems to recommend the Bilstein B6. I like the stock ride, it is comfortable, but do like something that helps the car handle better in turns, braking and high-speed lane changes. I just upgraded to the Steeda anti-sway bar which certainly helps but wonder if B6 would help equally so in the front end or would it, as someone alluded to, give me a stiffer and possibly less comfortable ride?

Should I consider other brands?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Peter. I've read all the way through that and I do take the effort to do a good search before asking. What I am not getting from anyone is a simply, "hey, I put on the B6 and this is how the car is handling different". That's hard to get but I'm trying. I know the B4 is stock, B6 is performance but I guess what I would like to see is "why would you get the B6 over the B4, what is the benefit?"

Thanks though.

Bilsteins engineers will email you if you have a question.

Here is a thread that mentions the Bilstein shocks. Steeda vs Bilstein shocks and struts
Bilsteins engineers will email you if you have a question.

Peter

I was looking for Bilstein but nationwide back order with unknown Return. I was able to get HD for the Rear but Nationwide possible worldwide back order for the Fronts both B4 (OEM) and B6 (HD)

I wound up keeping and installing the Bilstein Rears but with unknown ETA I went with Monroe's for the Front. This worked out good because Monroe sells as a Quick Strut Assembly. I would have sucked up the having to transfer over the Front Coil Spring's if I could have found Bilstein fronts. Monroe QSA was probably one of the easiest strut replacements I have ever done. Simple, raise vehicle, remove wheels, four upper mounting bolts, two lower, the sway bar link (Lower middle of strut housing) Took a little bit but NO COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR Involved, which my head thanks me very much. It is a bit of work for one person, there is some minor tweaking of the strut compression/extension levels to get the tension off the Sway bar Link nut for removal/installation but can be done. I used a four ton Daytona Axle Jack, 4 ton Jack stands and my SAFEJACKS.

I would recommend two persons, but I was able to work it with one. The second person can come in handy mainly during the installation to help starting the upper retaining nuts while the lower person guides it through. They can also help tweak the axle jack for setting the sway bar link nut. The rest of the time they can be a safety observer.

There are not a lot of complicated tools involved, normal wrenches, breaker bars, a decent hammer to help push the lower bolts through. The biggest obstacle will be the inboard aft upper mounting nut. The stud will slide in, and the nut will thread on but the space is tight for traditional sockets. I believe I used a 15mm ratchet wrench and expect to make only about 1/4-1/2 turns at a time. Rear INBOARD Only The outboard rear nut and forward nuts are fine. I believe I had to remove the cowling trim panel but follow the pattern and you will be fine. This is the same engine layout as my 2014 Taurus SHO but on that one I was able to remove the strut tower cross brace which the Explorer doesn't have.

Same rules as any other major suspension/brake work. One side at a time so you can use the other side as a reference. Also Ensure the wheels stay in the air the entire time. When the steering knuckle goes back into the new strut there is some adjustments to get the bolts lined up. If you leave weight on one wheel it maybe possible to pull the CV Axle out of the transmission housing. There is also the possibility of not having enough slack in the axle and the CV Joint dust boot will Tear, and obviously sling the axle grease EVERYWHERE.....except in the axle where it is supposed to be. Different vehicle but concept still applies and about a $200 lesson learned on that one.

BIGGEST INSTALL NOTE........Ensure the upper mounting nuts are tightened Twice. Once for initial tightening but when the vehicle gets off jacks and weight gets back on the wheels they will have to be tightened and torqued again. Commonly called Pre Load (weight OFF wheels) and load (Weight ON Wheels) DO NOT TOUCH THE CENTER UPPER NUT. Just in case you are tempted and want to ignore the safety sticker that is provided with the QSA. I garauntee you will only do it once.

I personally recommend Bilstein B6 (HD If you are able to get them but Monroe QSA and Gabriel are two decent alternatives. Preferably a QSA if available, the added cost of purchasing the QSA should be offset by the reduced labor and risk of having to transfer the coil spring to the new strut assembly.

I was looking for Bilstein but nationwide back order with unknown Return. I was able to get HD for the Rear but Nationwide possible worldwide back order for the Fronts both B4 (OEM) and B6 (HD)

I wound up keeping and installing the Bilstein Rears but with unknown ETA I went with Monroe's for the Front. This worked out good because Monroe sells as a Quick Strut Assembly. I would have sucked up the having to transfer over the Front Coil Spring's if I could have found Bilstein fronts. Monroe QSA was probably one of the easiest strut replacements I have ever done. Simple, raise vehicle, remove wheels, four upper mounting bolts, two lower, the sway bar link (Lower middle of strut housing) Took a little bit but NO COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR Involved, which my head thanks me very much. It is a bit of work for one person, there is some minor tweaking of the strut compression/extension levels to get the tension off the Sway bar Link nut for removal/installation but can be done. I used a four ton Daytona Axle Jack, 4 ton Jack stands and my SAFEJACKS.

I would recommend two persons, but I was able to work it with one. The second person can come in handy mainly during the installation to help starting the upper retaining nuts while the lower person guides it through. They can also help tweak the axle jack for setting the sway bar link nut. The rest of the time they can be a safety observer.

There are not a lot of complicated tools involved, normal wrenches, breaker bars, a decent hammer to help push the lower bolts through. The biggest obstacle will be the inboard aft upper mounting nut. The stud will slide in, and the nut will thread on but the space is tight for traditional sockets. I believe I used a 15mm ratchet wrench and expect to make only about 1/4-1/2 turns at a time. Rear INBOARD Only The outboard rear nut and forward nuts are fine. I believe I had to remove the cowling trim panel but follow the pattern and you will be fine. This is the same engine layout as my 2014 Taurus SHO but on that one I was able to remove the strut tower cross brace which the Explorer doesn't have.

Same rules as any other major suspension/brake work. One side at a time so you can use the other side as a reference. Also Ensure the wheels stay in the air the entire time. When the steering knuckle goes back into the new strut there is some adjustments to get the bolts lined up. If you leave weight on one wheel it maybe possible to pull the CV Axle out of the transmission housing. There is also the possibility of not having enough slack in the axle and the CV Joint dust boot will Tear, and obviously sling the axle grease EVERYWHERE.....except in the axle where it is supposed to be. Different vehicle but concept still applies and about a $200 lesson learned on that one.

BIGGEST INSTALL NOTE........Ensure the upper mounting nuts are tightened Twice. Once for initial tightening but when the vehicle gets off jacks and weight gets back on the wheels they will have to be tightened and torqued again. Commonly called Pre Load (weight OFF wheels) and load (Weight ON Wheels) DO NOT TOUCH THE CENTER UPPER NUT. Just in case you are tempted and want to ignore the safety sticker that is provided with the QSA. I garauntee you will only do it once.

I personally recommend Bilstein B6 (HD If you are able to get them but Monroe QSA and Gabriel are two decent alternatives. Preferably a QSA if available, the added cost of purchasing the QSA should be offset by the reduced labor and risk of having to transfer the coil spring to the new strut assembly.

+++1 for the Monroe QSA's unless you really are sold on some other brand of shock and have the necessary tools to disassemble/reassemble the struts. It's not for the faint of heart of for those trying to do it with cheap Autozone-type spring compressors.
I changed by fronts at 70k because a binding strut bearing was making a terrible racket every time I turned the wheel with the vehicle stopped or going very slowly.....sounded like someone banging on the side of an empty oil drum. Apparently the bearing was binding and actually making the spring jump a bit when it turned.
I might also add that if you have an air source, an impact gun is a big labor saver especially with the two large lower strut-to-spindle bolts
And yes, the rear upper nuts are a pain, but I sacrificed a deep well socket by cutting it to the right height to fit but still tall enough to be able to tighten the nuts all the way down. If you go that route make sure you use a 6-point.

+++1 for the Monroe QSA's unless you really are sold on some other brand of shock and have the necessary tools to disassemble/reassemble the struts. It's not for the faint of heart of for those trying to do it with cheap Autozone-type spring compressors.
I changed by fronts at 70k because a binding strut bearing was making a terrible racket every time I turned the wheel with the vehicle stopped or going very slowly.....sounded like someone banging on the side of an empty oil drum. Apparently the bearing was binding and actually making the spring jump a bit when it turned.
I might also add that if you have an air source, an impact gun is a big labor saver especially with the two large lower strut-to-spindle bolts
And yes, the rear upper nuts are a pain, but I sacrificed a deep well socket by cutting it to the right height to fit but still tall enough to be able to tighten the nuts all the way down. If you go that route make sure you use a 6-point.
ShouldnI day I would have sucked up paying to have someone transfer the coil spring over IF I could have found Bilsteins...ONLY Bilsteins.

Problem solved with the Monroe QSA. And hate to sayit that I bet other manufacturers are losing a market share but their business mode not mine!!

It seems that quite a few here are going with Bilsteins but supply seems to be an issue. I know Munroe was quite popular back in the '70s. I even had them.

Peter

Be aware when you buy shocks and struts. Ford has a lifetime warranty and covers labor for at least 2 years. Other brands are cheaper for a reason.....

Be aware when you buy shocks and struts. Ford has a lifetime warranty and covers labor for at least 2 years. Other brands are cheaper for a reason.....
What’s to say the OEM vendor can’t have the same quality control issues. Only difference between OEM is the warranty but remember. If the struts fail wary warranty or not the dealer is going to replace with the potentially same vendor that caused the early failure in the first place.

The Bilsteins finally came back in stock about a month ago, but seem to be out of stock again. I ordered mine last year August and got them installed in June.

I don't know what you can expect if you use the B6s with stock springs (you didn't mention if they were stock or aftermarket), as the stock spring rate is probably too low (ie: soft). I have the H&Rs, B6s, sway bar and lower control arms. As it stands now, I think the spring rate is a little too high personally, so my opinion is that the Steeda spring might be a better match to the B6 than the H&R is. Also, my tires are now the weak link (Toyo Proxes ST III), as I can seem to get the car to oversteer a bit in big turns.

Bilstein also makes a B4, which is an OEM replacement. Although it's labeled as an "OEM replacement," I'd wager that they're better made and constructed versus the stock stuff.

I installed B6's in the rear at 94k and noticed the rear end felt better around turns. Can't really give you an example on ride quality as the fronts are still stock since the driver front is still "awaiting shipment" and has been for over a month now.

I plan on posting my results when I get them installed. I should be doing it on stock springs, unless I decide to lower it while since i'll be compressing the springs.

i just installed Bilstein B6 on my 2017 ex and i will say they are stiffer around turns which is nice.. do note that the strut is about an inch shorter than motorcraft stock which makes the spring a little more compressed

i just installed Bilstein B6 on my 2017 ex and i will say they are stiffer around turns which is nice.. do note that the strut is about an inch shorter than motorcraft stock which makes the spring a little more compressed
i don’t believe the quality and ride comfort of the Bilsteins are in question. I was convinced of Bilsteins about two hours after switching from OEM on my 2003 Durango. The bigger question and remember part of not most of the supply/inventory problem with abilities and pretty much every major supplier of common automotive parts is COVID-19. Remember some vehicle production plants stopped automotive production entirely to re tool for COVID-19 PPE. I would like to think that last year at this time last year plenty of supply.

i don’t believe the quality and ride comfort of the Bilsteins are in question. I was convinced of Bilsteins about two hours after switching from OEM on my 2003 Durango. The bigger question and remember part of not most of the supply/inventory problem with abilities and pretty much every major supplier of common automotive parts is COVID-19. Remember some vehicle production plants stopped automotive production entirely to re tool for COVID-19 PPE. I would like to think that last year at this time last year plenty of supply.
yeah i had to get the front left off Summit and the front right off amazon.. i would go with Motorcraft if you need them now if not wait for bilsteins to come back in stock.. you could contact Summit racing and they can send a email to the supplier

I swapped my front but i went for the advanced autoparts full spring and strut replacement. i did it at 160 k. mine also developed a clunk when you turn. so it worked and they were in stock. plus i got 25% by buying online and pickup at store same day. Now i have around 20k and they are nice,

I run blisteins HD on my tundra . i did as the tundra tows a rather heavy 7k trailer and has airbags in the rear to augment the hd4600 shocks. the blisteins will run a bit harsher , i did not want them as with the 20 inch factory rims the tire wall is thinner and the ride is harsher than a 18 inch rim anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah i had to get the front left off Summit and the front right off amazon.. i would go with Motorcraft if you need them now if not wait for bilsteins to come back in stock.. you could contact Summit racing and they can send a email to the supplier
You might never get an answer but I would be willing to bet that Motorcraft doesn't make its own shocks, they are most likely sourced from an OEM vendor. I'd almost be willing to bet that it might be Monroe

Back