Need someone familiar with Ford head units | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need someone familiar with Ford head units

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
I have a 1995 Explorer and have the 80 watt "premium sound system" with cassette. my friend has a 2000 Explorer Sport witht he 80 watt "Premium sound system" but his has a CD player and cassette on it. WOuld his system plug into my wiring harmesses with no mods? Thanks!

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4

I am 99% positive that it wont fit. I had a '95 sport, and had my sony mobile ES head unit in it. When I bought my '99 this summer, I thought the same. I figured that it would match up with the wiring harness i already had from my '95. My new explorer came with the cd and cassette head unit. But that didnt happen. Its a different shape plug on the '99, and I would assume the 2000 also. So I would say it wouldnt work. I dont know if you can get a harness for a ford to ford hook up. I have never heard of that. But your friends wont fit directly in your 95, unless you can find a harness, or just splice it up if the wiring even matches. I dont know if it does. Hope I helped a little.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

Ok..thanks for the info..I'll take mine out and see what mods I would have to do to get it to work.

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4

I am doing that exact swap. I'm putting a dual media (CD/Cassette) head unit from a '98 into my '95. So, the good news is that it is possible. The bad news is that the adaptor cost $75. The adaptor includes a new chip and you have to run wiring all the way back to the amp in the back. All the wiring was included with the adaptor. I am planning to install it tomorrow (I just got the adaptor Wednesday), and I'll let you know how it goes. I got the adaptor from a company in Denver called PDA. Their number is (303) 761-6022. Ask for a guy named Paul, he's done the exact same swap in a Ranger and he'll know what you're talking about. There might be a dealer closer to you as well. I got PDA's number from the Ford dealership.

------------------
Brian Corff
'95 XLT 4x4 V6 w/ 31x10.5's
"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever."

Back