Need suggestions on rattling noise | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Need suggestions on rattling noise

minjies

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I have a 02 Ford explorer that has been making a rattling noise on startup and noise lowers just a little bit after driving for a while. We changed out the rear timing belt tensioner and the front timing belt tensioner, like some forums suggested, but that did not make a difference.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Cubanlorenzo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Check heat shields on the CATS. They're known to break loose and rattle. Mine was rattling pretty loud from 2500-3100 rpms

<

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
I also had a loose heat shield that was rattling. Worth a shot to check it out.

<

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
You might have a rattling torque convertor. Does the noise go away when overdrive engages?

<

wangbungal

Reaction score
City, State
miami fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford ranger xl 97
check your belt tensioner, just replaced mine

<

ronwc

Reaction score
City, State
Largo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
cat

Just replaced one of my cats, was doing just as you described. Inside was loose and rattling, would change when warmed up. Now quite and smooth as normal.

<