Need technical help on a window regulator problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need technical help on a window regulator problem

bilden

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Baurer
I have one of those common power window problems on my 93X where the front drivers side window doesn’t go up or down but I can here the motor running. I’m in the process of removing the regulator to see if I can fix it. In the Haynes book it says to drill out the rivets that hold the regulator backing plate to the door and in the Explorer Maintenance article “Power Window Fix” it says to drill a ½” hole at the drill dimple point located over the screw head. I assume this screw holds the regulator to the regulator backing plate. Here are my questions:
1. Where is this drill dimple point located?
2. If I drill this ½” hole to get to the screw that holds the regulator to the backing plate, will I still have to drill out the rivets that hold the backing plate to the door?
Any help on this PITA job will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I just wanted to let you know that I ended up drilling the three rivets that holds the backing plate to the door. Watch that spring, WOW! The nylon bushings in the nylon gear of the motor were completely crushed so I went to Lowes and got a 1/2" x 2' steel rod for $3.00, cut three small pieces, filed the diameter down a bit so they would fit and presto the thing works again, cost me only $3.00 and now I have solid steel bushings which last forever. I have enough steel rod though to do all the windows for 30 explorers. I'll be ready for when the other windows go though.

This thread helped me fix both windows on my Navajo so I thought I'd add pictures to go along with bilden's "how to". The first picture shows the original bushings in place within the regulator assy. They're supposed to be round but as you can see they are significantly deteriorated. The second picture shows my "bubba" fix: (3) 7/16" ball bearings. This whole fix cost me $2.25 for both windows and the ball bearings will outlast the truck.

Attachments

• Bad Bushings.jpg
    Bad Bushings.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 439
  • Good Bearings.jpg
    Good Bearings.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 417

Very timely post. My windows (especially the passenger side when it's warm outside) have started thunking and not sliding up or down when I hit the button. Is this a similar problem to what you've fixed here? They will occasionally work but not always. It also seems really hard to help slide them up - they don't seem to want to move at all so I was initially wondering if the problem was lubrication

My driver's side window has started showing the same problems as you guys talked about.
CHH777 - Where did you get the ball bearings?? How long did it take you to do this on one window??

bmxking5 said:
My driver's side window has started showing the same problems as you guys talked about.
CHH777 - Where did you get the ball bearings?? How long did it take you to do this on one window??
Does anyone know, cuz I want to do it tomorrow but won't have time to drive around looking for some and still be able to fix the window. Thanks

bmxking5 said:
Does anyone know, cuz I want to do it tomorrow but won't have time to drive around looking for some and still be able to fix the window. Thanks
Nevermind. I just found out that my whole window motor is gone, not just the little bushing things.

my passenger window does that then i just kinda put my hand up against it and slide it down a little bit and it goes down just fine, it getting stuck might not be your problem though.

Ball bearings were at Ace Hardware. Sorry to hear your motor is dead.

*****in,

That definitely sounds like a symptom of the worn out bushings.

bmxking5 said:

I have a 91 explorer 4 door that has all 4 motors out. I did this before on my old 94 sport, but I didn't know if the window regulators were the same between the 2 and 4 doors.
Conyl...wanna work on some windows? :D

Back