• Register Today It's free!

Need the bleed procedure

MEXEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Mexicali, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited
I rebuilt the clutch on my explorer last week replacing both cylinders and it seems to be air in the system, different people talk about the bleeding procedure on the Tips Section, but I can't seem to open it from the computers from work, can anyone help me?

I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0, I don't know if that will work.

Thanks and I'm stranded without my explorer for the weekend..

I just did this a few weeks ago, and here's what I remember:

1.Make sure you keep the fluid container full at all times, or you'll suck air back into the system.

2.Remove the cap from the clutch fluid res., as well as the rubber diaphram. Fill up with brake fluid from a new, unopened container.

You'll need to get a quick disconnect tool to remove the transmission line from the tranny. I got one at O'reilly's for about $3. I imagine you've already got this if you had the tranny out.....

3. Disconnect the tranny line from the transmission by pushing the tool in on the white collar while tugging on the line to pull it out.

4. Use a screwdriver to press in the coupler on the male end of the tranny line. As soon as you do this, have your help slowly push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. As as the pedal is at the floor, let the coupler close and have your helper release the pedal.IMPORTANT: DO NOT PUSH THE PEDAL IN WHILE THE TRANNY LINE IS DISCONNECTED AND THE COUPLER IS CLOSED, OR YOU'LL JACK YOUR MASTER CYL.

5. Repeat this procedure three or four times, checking the fluid level in the res. after each pass. Reconnect the line to the tranny, and pump the pedal 10-20 times. Make sure the res. is full.

6. Put a clear piece of hose(I think I used 5/8) on the bleeder valve on the transmission. Use a wrench(I think it was a 5/16, but I can't remember) to open the bleed valve and have your helper push the pedal to the floor. Watch for bubbles in the clear tube, and as soon as the pedal hits the floor and the fluid flow begins to slow, close the valve. Then have your assistant release the pedal. Pump the pedal 10-20 times.

7. Repeat step 6 about five or six times, or until you see no more bubbles and the clutch pedal feels firm. If it's still squishy, repeat the entire procedure again. I had to go through the whole thing three times.

It takes a long time to get it bleed. Be patient, and expect to go through a quart of brake fluid. The good thing is by the time you're done you should have completely flushed all the nasty old brake fluid out of the system. Be sure to pump the hell out the clutch between times when you open the bleeder screw. You may need to repeat the procedure again a few weeks later to get the last bit out.

I hope i didn't forget anything...

Good luck!
Brian

Great instructions!

the key is to bleed the master and hydro line firstm then attach to the slave and bleed the rest.

The way the hydro line is routed form the master down around the frame then to the tranny is really crappy, because it can get air trapped in the loop under the frame and it will never come out, the fluid just goes around it, unless you do it as described above,

Now another helpful hint, if you look at the design of the slave cylinder you can see there is a spot where an air pocket can sit, it is very helpful to jack up the rer of the truck as high as you can (max out the jack stands) during the final process of the bleeding.

I found out the hard way how to and how to not bleed this system....its a PITA!!!

Thank you very much for your help, and hopefully I will get it running, today or tomorrow.

Back