Need Tips: Changing Transmission & Transfer Case Fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Tips: Changing Transmission & Transfer Case Fluid

Garret

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hi Guys,

I have a 1992 4WD Explorer and I'm taking the plunge and changing my Transmission and Transfer Case fluids myself. I've read a ton of past threads in research, but I still have unanswered questions:

1) Which line do I disconnect from the tranny cooler for doing a low pressure/truck-powered-only flush? Please be more specific than "the return line", describe it's the phsical location please.

1.5) Will one of those generic tranny line disconnect tools from Advance Auto get the line off, or do I need to go to Sears for one of those mulitple size disconnect kits?

2) Will I need to plug the disconnected line to prevent backpressure. If so, what do I plug it with, where do I get it?

3) How do I put in a transmission pan drain plug? I'm thinkining I need to hit it with one of those point-tap-icepick-looking-things first, then move up to consecutively larger drill bits, then finish with one of those self-tapping drain plugs for when you "F" up your oil drain plug. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4) Where, O where, is the transfer case drain plug on a '92, or is there not one? I can find the filler hole, but not the drain (Do I need to pump the old fluid out through the filler hole?).

If you can answer these 4 (and a half) question catagories, you get the Gold Star for the day! :thumbsup: :D Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Garret.. Off topic but please reduce your signature down to 6 lines or less per the rules listed in the FAQ. Tried contacting you via e-mail but the account you used at registration bounced the e-mail.

1. Follow the bottom most line from the trannie, that is the outflow line. 2. You do not need special tools, the fittings at the radiator are flare nut. 3. Buy a plug from the replacement oil plug displays at Autozone, etc... they require a drilled 1/2 inch hole. 4. The drain plug is under the shift motor body (located on the rear side of the TC).

The A4LD Rebuild Diary in the Useful threads might help... but contains a lot of info (and pictures) you might not want to bother to read.

Hi Ben, sorry about the sig, I've shortened it.

I've also updated my email, so if you try me again, I'd appreciate it!

Hi Glacier,

"1. Follow the bottom most line from the trannie, that is the outflow line"

Should I then disconnect this bottom most line at the cooler?

Will I then attach my makeshift drain hose to the disconnected line or the fitting on the cooler? Thanks!

attach your drain line to the line you just disconnected. Put something under the fitting on the radiator, it will leak fluid... I found it helpful to use clear tubing so I could see when the fluid was changing colors...

yeah i found out it will leak alot of fluid! someone told me dont worry about it then i didn't and then i looked again and the garage now has a spot dedicated to me! lol

See this thread for a good step-by-step on changing your transmission fluid.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144226

Also, something that I've never seen in print anywhere (including my Chiltons repair manual): the drain plug for the 91-94 transfer case is hidden behind that doughnut-shaped weight bolted on the lower back driver side of the transfer case. You will have to unbolt the 4 bolts on the corners of its mounting plate. Hold on while taking that last bolt off!

Back