• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

jholloway34

Reaction score
City, State
Westerly, Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I need tires for my completely stock explorer. Im in High School so I need to find them cheap. Any recommendations? My budget is around 500 bucks, even if the tires are used. I just need a start!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

crazycoop

Reaction score
City, State
tulsa,ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt and 91eb
I need tires for my completely stock explorer. Im in High School so I need to find them cheap. Any recommendations? My budget is around 500 bucks, even if the tires are used. I just need a start!

what size tires do you have and how fast do you need them

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
craigslist! also check your local les schwab or other tire/wheel shops, they usually have a few sets of used tires for sale at a good discount

OffTrac

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Talk to a local tire shop. You'd be surprised how cheap you can get new tires if you just ask. Don't expect them to be great tires, but like you said, it's a start.

I would also keep an eye on Craigslist. If you are vigilant enough on there, you should be able to find a smokin' deal on tires, probably even with wheels included many times which you could sell and come out well below your $500 budget.

jholloway34

Reaction score
City, State
Westerly, Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I believe the size is 255 75 16.5

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0

I Suggest looking into General Grabbers. I have the Grabber HTS on my Explorer and love them. Even though they are not A/T's they are great in the rain and snow, and good for long highway drives.

I picked up a set of 4 matching tread Bridgestone Duelers off ebay for $130 shipped to the house for my gf's now sold/dead Grand Cherokee.