Need to do full pad/rotor change. any advice/write-ups? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to do full pad/rotor change. any advice/write-ups?

PDExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Xsport, 12 Mustang GT
found out all 4 rotors and pads are shot on my 02 explorer, even with it stopping ok. so i am going to try it myself. any advice on something you encountered? or anybody know of a detailed write up anywhere?
also, the tools and sizes or any special tools needed? any additional parts needed besides rotors, pads, grease?

also someone was explaining it and they made it seem like the ebrake has different pads?? is ithis true or it uses the same rear pads?

thanks for any help you can provide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for love in all the right places, use the search button, is tons of brake install posts.
Your ebrake has shoes, incorporated into your rear discs, get a good repair manual.
You can do it.

yeahi used search but got posts of older explorers and wasnt sure if its the same. chiltons manual good? and do you think the ebrake shoes will need a change?

PDExplorer said:
yeahi used search but got posts of older explorers and wasnt sure if its the same. chiltons manual good? and do you think the ebrake shoes will need a change?
Chilton, haynes are okay
Ebrake shoes are most likly fine,BUT
Your there, do a complete brake job, have the rotors turned, do the pads, have the ebrake drums turned, new shoes, maybe an extra 30/40 bux.
do it now, or do it later.

im gonna be getting brand new rotors, pads. if they are brand new they are good to go on right?

PDExplorer said:
im gonna be getting brand new rotors, pads. if they are brand new they are good to go on right?
Should be
Just de-grease them

Better check your e-brake pads

PD,

You had better look close at your ebrake pads. One of mine fell off the backing plate, and I have read of three or four others on the forum here that have had the same thing happen to them. Evidently the glue wasn't any good, or the robot went on strike when it was putting the glue on them. :D

Dave

daveleeander said:
PD,

You had better look close at your ebrake pads. One of mine fell off the backing plate, and I have read of three or four others on the forum here that have had the same thing happen to them. Evidently the glue wasn't any good, or the robot went on strike when it was putting the glue on them. :D

Dave
The ebrakes are shoes, not pads, and they are attached with rivitts, not glue

Back