need to fill my light bar. help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need to fill my light bar. help?

I made a light bar that mounts where the covers on the front of the roof rack are where the roof rack is held down. I wanna put 4 lights up there. I use my truck for security at a aluminum plant so I need a wide beam but also distance too. what do you guys recommend. oh yeah im not paying for them but the boss man gave me 250 bucks to work with. I don't want anything ugly cuz it is my truck so im looking for a round light no bigger then 5 maybe six inches.. I looked on ebay and found 4 150 watt lights with covers for about 140 shipped. almost like old kc knock offs any thoughts. or what I should get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There a few lights out there that have dual beam patterns, this will work for your application.

Warn is one supplier but the price of one pair will almost eliminate your budget.
Quadratec had another pair I was considering them myself.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97016_600.htm

They are just over $200 but you get high and low beam patterns, Four lights for the price of two.

To mount them on top of the vehicle you will need to rework the harness and add a ground wire that runs with the harness from the lights back to the battery but it all comes with the territory.

Luck,

You get what you pay for when it comes to lighting. Id either go with KC or Hella.

Bump, Hella 500's about $70.00 a pair.

Bump, Hella 500's about $70.00 a pair.

Here is a set for 39.99 with free shipping....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Hella-Model-500-Expedition-Series-Driving-Light-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370141119543QQitemZ370141119543QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I bought mine on ebay for 55.00 and have not had any problems. I love them! Also, the store I bought them from accidently sent me 2 sets, tried to contact them about it with no reply back so I sold them to a friend for 30.00.

Yeah, I also have the Hella Comet 500's. I have had two prior sets of 500's (the non Comet versions made in Mexico) since July of 2002 and just recently replaced them with a third set due to breakage (Someone backed in to them for a second time). The third replacement set I received were of the Comet version. I believe they are made in Germany and are much better quality, I love them. I have usually paid about $74.00 for a pair (first time from Summit Automotive online, second time from AutoBarn locally and now from Summit again online) they are hard to find in local stores here, most places sell the cheap BS brands of lites, not KC's, PIAA's or Hella's etc. which are all good quality.

I havnt don't much research on hellas but what is the difference between 500ff, 500, 1000ff and 1000. im willing to add to the amount they gave me so what would really light up the night. I like the look of the old school bubble look like the rounded back ones

KC Hilights come with 100 watt bulbs.
Hellas come with 55 watt bulbs.
100 beats 55 everytime.

Google Hella and see Hella USA. Also;http://www.rallylights.com/

I agree with Bill Kemp but it comes down to personal preference. You can always change bulbs to whatever wattage you prefer. I do not know the price difference between KC's with the 100 watt bulbs and the Hella's with the standard 55 watt bulbs but I am satisfied for my purposes with the Hellas. I did buy 100 watt bulbs for my Hellas but I have yet to put them in although I must say that in rural areas where I have driven the 55's have been fine. Again, personal preference on styling, price etc. are up to you. My first pair were Hellas and they have been flawless. I do know that KC's are also a top name brand and I do not knock them on their ability to output usable light etc. I just preferred the plain looking styling of the Hellas which performed to my expectations when needed.

You get what you pay for when it comes to lighting. Id either go with KC or Hella.

Agreed. I went the cheap route for my roof rack and have regretted it.

Agreed. I went the cheap route for my roof rack and have regretted it.
hey paraphoe your from pa? im right by harrisburg but from scranton

also I have 4 100 watt h3s and I can get 150s also. we use them on our cat skid loaders. so id throw them in whatever lights I get more then likely. if you guys had 250 for lights for your light bar what lights would you get and if you can include links that would be great. id just like 4 lights that look the same

macknos94,

Buy any 100 watt light that fits your look... the way you want it.

Wire them correctly and they should put out a lot of light, should be enough.

I know where that is did a few jobs out that way

It's a solid little town, can't complain. Let me know next time you're in the area and I can show you my knockoff & inadequate roof rack lights, haha.

haha will do once summer rolls around I do work all over pa nj ny area

I think I am going with 4 4inch lights there 55 watt h3s originally but im gonna throw my 100 watt h3 s in them. I figured the 4 inch is lower by about 2.5 inched when there mounted. that will put them 3 inched over my roof rack with the light bar I made. thanks for the help oh yeah ebay. 60 bucks for 6 4 inch kc look alikes with 3- 50 amp relays 55 watt bulbs installed and they come with 150 watt bulbs. 3 wiring kits that are ment for the 150s plus 6 black rock gaurds and 6 black kc daylighter covers. chrome housing blue glass lenses and the othe 190 will go to road bully spacers 3/2.5 lift

Back