need to get some advice

short35

Reaction score
City, State
boyce , va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer xlt
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT
every time i use the AC arter i shut the car off and then start using it again it smells like urine i think that the drain might be clogged is there an easy way to clean it out has any one ran in to this before

Hey Short 35:
Here's the answer with the web page.

What causes that musty smell in the cars air conditioning vents? Find out how to prevent and methods of getting rid of that musty air conditioning odor.

That mildew smell coming from the air conditioning could be caused by fungus growth in the cars air conditioning system. As the odor permeates through the interior of the car it may also be absorbed in the seats and carpeting of the car. Knowing what causes the mildew odor will help to prevent the smell from reoccurring.

What Causes That Musty Car Air Conditioning Smell?
The real simple answer is water condensation. As the air conditioning systems is being used it builds up water condensation that can settle in the cars evaporator core housing. The evaporator core is similar to the coils on the back of some older refrigerators.

It’s surround by a black case (housing) and as the evaporator drips water from condensation it settles in the housing and becomes stagnated, causing a mildew type odor.

Read more at Suite101: Bad Smell From Cars Air Conditioner: Removing and Preventing Musty Odor in Vehicles AC http://car-reviews.suite101.com/article.cfm/bad_smell_from_cars_air_conditioner#ixzz0tIXS9KjU

you sure it's not a urine scented air freshener? :bsnicker:

Bad Odor / Smell in A/C system

I bought a 2000 Explorer with the problem. Briefly rehashing what I learned on line that WORKED:

a. Remove the blower fan. It is in the engine compartment, not hard to remove if you are deliberate. You must unbolt the coolant overflow and windshield washer containers, but leave them in place. They only have to move a little to allow the fan to be removed. There is an electrical plug and a drain hose to detach, pretty easy.

b. Once the fan is out, you can see the condenser in it's housing to the right. Get a narrow flex vacuum hose and get all the dead leaves and stuff out that you can reach; hit it with an air hose if you can to dislodge more; then use a nozzle on a garden hose (It should all leak out the bottom). You will have difficulty reaching the lower right corner where a lot gets wedged. A small hand can carefully get more out - no pointy objects!

c. You can go under the car where the drain is (in my case it is not a hose but a molded opening about the size of a quarter; 1/2 covered in plastic with the opposite half covered about 1/2 inch higher (like a maze). No wonder mice get in these sometimes... and blow it up backwards to try and dislodge more, then repeat the process. I hit it all with lysol spray while it was open (but this will not be enough...)

d. Reassemble...

e. Go to your local Toyota dealer parts department and ask for the "spray kit that gets rid of condenser odor". He will eventually produce a two can set with a hose, charge you about $20.

f. Drill a small hole in the top of the condenser case close to the corner you couldn't quite reach, apply the spray the way it says to. It will fill it with foam, kill bacteria and drain out the bottom. There is enough in the can to do this three times, and you need to. Use the deodorizer can after this is done, per instructions. Plug the hole with a screw and washer in case you need to come back again...

g. Two months later all is still great. Remember it either happened from leaves and such dropping in the intake from the top or from rodents entering from the bottom and take appropriate preventative measures.

Good luck

Back