Need to Install Brake Controller - What do I need? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to Install Brake Controller - What do I need?

I have a '06 Ltd V8 with heavy tow package. I have the 7 pin and want to install the Electric Brakes. Does anyone know if this year already comes wired and if not how can I tell? Also, what controller would you recommend? The camper weighs about 3500 lbs before gear.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use a Tekonsha P3 (intertial) brake controller. I was given an old controller with my camper that was the timed type (it puts on more brakes the longer your brake lights are on). THe inertia type measure the decell of the truck and apply the brakes proportionately. Much better in my experience. I also bought the Tekonsha Ford harness (#3035-P). It plugs right in.

On the '02 thru '05 (maybe '06 is the same), the connector is behind the glove box. To get to it, open the glove box, push in a bit on the sides, and it will disengage and swing down completely down. The connector is taped to a wiring harness up at the top left area. Find it, untape it, and hook up your harness. THere is a place up by the firewall over the trans hump where you can sneak the other end of the harness through. I mounted my controller to the right of the steering wheel on the knee kick panel.

Hope that helps.

I know this is a old post but for those who need it (i sell and install trailer hitches an wiring for a living)i would go with a timed brake controller here is descriptions of the brake controllers from draw-tite.com
Brake Controls
Draw-Tite brake controls are designed to apply the brakes of the towed vehicle (trailer). There are three types of brake controls on the market today timed, inertia, and proportional. Another type of braking system that is used for trailers is a breakaway kit.

Timed Controls
Timed based controls generate an output signal that increases over a period of time. The time based controls apply braking power at the fixed rate that is not proportional to the pressure applied to the brake pedal.

Inertia Controls
Inertia based controls work very much like Timed based control in that they apply braking power at a preset rate during normal stopping conditions with one very important difference. Inertia controls have a patented "Automatic Over-Ride" system with a separate power supply for unexpected high speed stops.

Proportional Controls
Proportional based controls offer a smooth braking response to almost any stop. Through the use of a sensing device, the brake control can determine the tow vehicle's rate of deceleration and then apply the trailer brakes to match. In other words, Proportional controls deliver power to the trailer brakes in direct relationship to the actual physical deceleration of the tow vehicle.

Breakaway Kit
A breakaway kit is designed to apply to trailer electric brakes in the event that the trailer becomes disconnected from the hitch while in motion. This kit is required in many of the States and Provinces.

I like the time controllers becuase they are simple which means there is less to go wrong. I would and will be going with a draw-tite activator3 but a close second is the activiator2. the are basically the same except the 3 is a little bit smaller and is mare removable. If u have the stock 7 pin 99 percent of the time its Pre-wired for trailer brakes whats nice the activator 3 has a available 2 plug harness like this
22280.gif
Which means its a simple plug and play

this is not ment to be an advertisement in anyway for draw-tite i just like the product they make you can go with any brand you like but at least you will have some understanding of what you are buying.

Time-based controllers are old technology, and don't work well in anything but a controlled stop. Proportional inertia-based units like the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 are the way to go. No leveling, no time delays to set, always on when you need them, and no dials to fiddle with more than once... set it and forget it.

Having used a Tekonsha Voyager for several years and upgrading to a Prodigy last summer, it's night and day better. At current prices, you're talking $40-$50 for a time-based controller versus $90 for a Prodigy... Not the best place to save money IMHO. Driving 5 mph slower on the first couple trips will save enough in fuel costs to make up for the extra cost of the Prodigy.

-Joe

Ouu subscribing -- I'll be looking to put one in my van soon.

Ouu subscribing -- I'll be looking to put one in my van soon.

In the LOLvan? It may be pre-wired for a controller... Lemme do some digging... If so, it's a simple plug-n-play affair (although you may need to add a relay or two for the trailer charge circuit and the backup light circuit) What year is it again?

-Joe

Its a 2001 E-350 super duty. Thanks Joe!!

IZ, I'll shoot you a PM to avoid hijacking this thread...

-Joe

HELP! Can't find plug for brake controller!

I am installing a brake controller on a 2005 Explorer and can't find the plug! Any help is appreciated!
Thanks a bunch!
CCarson

All (I think) connectors have been found behind the glove box taped to another harness in the back upper left. The harness is black and the tape is black, so it is hard to see, but it is there.

I have a 2005 explorer. It only has the 4pin trailer hookup. I am installing a Prodigy brake controller and need to install a 7 pin connector for my new trailer. What do I need to get to put the 7pin in?

Look behind the glove box. Squeeze the glovebox sides in and it will drop down. Careful not to expell the airbag. You will be looking right at it. Look into the top the the glove box on the left. Way up behind another wire a quick connector will be taped to it with black tape. untape it and that should be your connect for the brake controller. I think this is right. I have a 2005 v6 with only 4pin and I found my connector in the glove box area. Now I just need to know how to get the 4 pin a 7 pin now for the brake controller to work. Don't know anything about that part. I think I am going with the Prodigy® P2 byTekonsha.....

I use a Tekonsha P3 (intertial) brake controller. I was given an old controller with my camper that was the timed type (it puts on more brakes the longer your brake lights are on). THe inertia type measure the decell of the truck and apply the brakes proportionately. Much better in my experience. I also bought the Tekonsha Ford harness (#3035-P). It plugs right in.

On the '02 thru '05 (maybe '06 is the same), the connector is behind the glove box. To get to it, open the glove box, push in a bit on the sides, and it will disengage and swing down completely down. The connector is taped to a wiring harness up at the top left area. Find it, untape it, and hook up your harness. THere is a place up by the firewall over the trans hump where you can sneak the other end of the harness through. I mounted my controller to the right of the steering wheel on the knee kick panel.

Hope that helps.
What do you tow with it?

Hope that helps.

On the '06 it is under the steering wheel under the dash. Plugs right in, takes longer to figure out where you want to put the controller. I have the Class II hitch with the 4 way flat plug for lighting and mine was there. The connection for the 7 way plug was taped above the 4 way flat. I added a 7 way plug and it took me again, longer to figure out where I was putting it. All the wires were run, just in case.

In 2006, they moved the brake control socket from the glovebox side, to the driver's side. Get on your back and look up under the dash, right next to the parking brake pedal. My '06 Mounty's socket actually faces toward the front, so you have to insert the plug from the firewall side and push back toward the seat.

Prodigy, P2, or P3 will all work the same and are hands-down the best. You can pay less for a controller, but it won't perform near as well. You can pay more for a controller, but it won't perform any better (and likely not as good).

To use a time-delay controller simply because it is "simple and has less to go wrong" not the way to think about this. The Prodigy/P2/P3 controllers have no moving parts (accelerometer-based). Older inertia units used swinging pendulums, which I suppose could get knocked out of alignment. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Time-delay controlers have to be reset for varying conditions (city or highway, etc). If you have it set on long-delay (for highway driving), and you have to make a panic stop, you will rear-end somebody. If you have it set for short-delay, it will be pulling on the truck during snub stops when you don't want it to.

Spend the $100. You won't be sorry. I've designed and tested brakes for 20 years. Saving $50-60 is not worth the risk, after you've invested thousands in a truck and camper.

Back