Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
Hello,
I have been around this wonderful site for just a short while. I need to do head gaskets on my 94 4.0 ohv Explorer. Will prob replace much of the cooling system and exhaust and any other valve train parts that need replacing. Going to install King 93tm heads per recommendation here, and with some cheap SS headers just because I live in a heavily salted area
I have been searching the site for a few weeks now and I have received a ton of good info which prompted me to donate. Money well spent imho.

My question is,
Is there a more modern, updated list for parts and/or part numbers? I am searching like a madman but none of the pics are showing, and almost all the links are dead. I could be just not looking in the right place though.
I know that I need to buy upper/lower intake gasket set, valve cover gaskets, etc but I am looking for a gasket kit that will contain the best quality parts and the most complete. I don’t mind changing IAC gasket EGR throttle body etc and would like the gaskets to be of the best design since there seem to be several designs and you know some of them are prob good and some are prob not so good.

My plan is to install King cylinder heads with reusable bolts and gaskets from Tom morana and then use either Fel pro or OEM or whatever company makes the best gasket kit for the valve covers and the upper/lower intake. The headers come with gaskets so I won’t need those, should I just use the head gaskets that come with a head changing kit? I’m not trying to have to do this job ever again, so I would like to install good quality head gaskets. Are the Tom morana head gaskets overkill?
Or am I better off getting different gaskets from different manufacturers to get the best designs possible?

Thanks for any help, trying to get these parts ordered so I can get this truck back in working order.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

17 views and no one can recommend a gasket kit?

You will have to pull the intake manifold before ordering a gasket set. I ordered a Felpro set from Rock Auto that said it was for a 1994, but it turns out there are a few different gasket types for that year model. I also ended up with the wrong oil pan gasket, as the one for a 1993 year model was correct for my 1994. Only way to be sure is to pull it apart, then order the correct set for your engine.

Awesome man thanks for the help
I really appreciate it

I've always preferred felpro.
roscoe

Thanks

I ordered fel pro SD head gaskets to go with my King cylinder heads
Once i get it all apart i can see what i need.
I know the valve cover gaskets seem to have the most variety, any particular type or brand that is good for those? Stick with Fel Pro?
Thanks

I went with Felpro and they are working for me. Its not just valve cover gaskets, there are two or three completely different types of lower intake gaskets.

Gotcha
Once i take it all apart i'll post some pics
Thanks again

You will be happy with the Felpro perma-torque head gaskets, they are as good as they come. For the intake, most people like the newer 2 piece gasket from either Felpro or Victor Reinz. I've installed the original style one-piece, and never had a problem. The throttle body, and IAC are just paper gaskets. You can't go wrong, and they don't fail unless they tear when you remove them. The EGR is a high temp, similar to the exhaust manifold stuff, but again, they just don't fail. Better yet is to replace the EGR tube while you have the manifolds off. That is a job that sucks trying to get the fitting out. Put it in a vice, get it out, run a tap in it, then put a brand new tube and EGR valve back in.

Is there a high quality timing cover gasket available?
Should I use red rtv to seal the timing cover?

Just to help some other members if they do a search i’ll post up some part numbers for the gaskets I got once they are all installed.

Back