Need to place tire order today...tossup between Cepek's and Nitto's...?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to place tire order today...tossup between Cepek's and Nitto's...??

I have ordered a set of Dick Cepek 16x8 DC-1's (polish finish) and am putting some 285/75/16 tires on them. I have decided either on the Cepek Radial F-C II or the Nitto Terra Grapplers or Nitto Dune Grappler DT.

Truck will have a 2" RB lift and 3" BL when complete. I drive mainly on the street, but do like to take it out on the beach (we have a beach we can 4x4 on here in NC) or out on light trails. I would like something that does not throw a lot of road noise.

I currently use Bridgestone Dueler A/T stocks on the OEM wheels, and do not like them at all. I have also used BFG A/T KO's (35") on a lifted truck...and they were ok...but not great.

I was attracted to the Cepek's because of their reviews on Tirerack, not to mention the rims are Cepek's as well so the allure of the whole 'matched set' thing. But the Nitto's have a great look, especially the Dune Grappler DT's.

Anybody have first hand knowledge on any of the tires mentioned above? I am not looking for anything mud specific (ie. Cepek Mud Country)....just A/T tires.

Thanks

I used the 'search' feature here on the forums and found all the info I needed about all of the above. I also read a lot of reviews on tirerack.com and discounttire.com and I decided on the Terra Grappler's.

FWIW, the problem with the Bridgestone Dueler AT's (235/60/16 stocks) is that they are really poor on gas mileage for a stocker, and actually fairly noisy. On the plus side they do well in the sand on the beach, and also for towing/handling.

I read many reviews from people with the Terra Grapplers who say the tires are quiet....so that was the selling point for me.

:thumbsup:

The Grapplers are pretty much the best functioning tire you can get.... solid choice.

Back