Need to refinish rear bumper and tupperware/cladding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to refinish rear bumper and tupperware/cladding

Searched the forums and can't find any reference to this product:

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Rocker-Gard-Paintable-Rocker-Panel-Coating.html

Got a 2001 Explorer Sport 4X4 Dark Teal Metallic with tan or beige cladding. The color combo looks good and the Sport is being repainted next week (same Dark Teal Metallic color) and I need to refresh the bumper and cladding (i'll be pulling it off for the respray anyway). There's some great info on the forums on a bunch of products but nothing on the Rocker-gard.

Anyone have any experience with it or, or should I stick to something like the Krylon Fusion?

TIA everyone!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing..........................:popcorn:

Sourced 4 cans of the 05910 (even though it's discontinued there seems to be a bit of old stock out there). Gonna try a little on the INSIDE of one of the covers first in case it does something stupid like turns the plastic to snot!

If it don't work the seller takes back the unused cans.

Good luck.

well... gotta figure out Plan B. vendor that said they have the product doesn't actually have any in stock. may have to do the grey rocker-gard or do the bumper black like everyone else seems to be doing.

Standing by for Plan B.

seems the prior owner had the cladding and bumper refinished in tan to match the interior :scratch: . inside of the cladding is grey. think i'll take it back to grey with the SEM bumper coat #38533.

if your just looking to repaint all the plastic trim on it, you can use regular paint. you will need to scuff everything down REAL good with a red scotch brite pad.

Yea I like the krylon I've used it on alot of vehicles and it holds up nice. I also like the color combo you have over the grey.

Back