Need to replace dash light | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Need to replace dash light

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I had a dash light burn out between the 50 and 70 on my speedo. Do I just remove the three screws on the top of the instrument cluster and pull it out or is there more involved?

<

Big E

Reaction score
City, State
Albion MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I think you pull the pannel off infront of the cluster pull out the screws and unplug the wire harness. Give the bad bulb a quater turn and it should come out. I think :)

Eric

<

Stephen S

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT Ironman
It's a little more involved than that. You'll have to take most of the dash apart on the driver's side in order to get to the guage cluster. You'll then have to remove the guage cluster to locate the bulbs behind it. Here is a thread I started a while back whn I had the same trouble. I detailed the dash removal and changing the light bulbs.

Dead Link Removed

Dash removal process with pictures:
Dead Link Removed

Another helpful thread:
Dead Link Removed

Also, it would be a good idea to replace all of the bulbs while you are back there, so another one doesn't decide to go out on you as soon as you finish. Hope this helps.

<

regulator

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 EB..wit da frawg eyez
Yeah I just did the same thing on my X. I followed the directions someone put up to installing indiglo guages. Once you get that far you are home free. There were 22 detailed picks on the thread.

<