need to reprogram fob (clicker)

kjcc777

Reaction score
City, State
Mesquite, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
need to reprogram fob!!

my explorer was stolen, but thankfully recovered, completely undamaged. however, the stupid thief kept my keys, which had my clicker on it. (which, i've been told, is called a 'fob') anyhow, i don't want to spend the fortune it would cost to replace all the locks and keys, but i was hoping to DEprogram my spare fob and then REprogram it so the theif couldn't get into my car, just in case s/he found it again. a guy i work with told me this was possible, but he wasn't sure how. any help would be sooo appreciated. thanks! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moving from the Explorer 911 to the 1995-2001 Stock section. If you look in the Useful thread section this forum, you will find instructions on how to reprogram your keyless entry remote. Also please decide a bit better on where to place your thread. The Explorer 911 section is dedicated for those situations where the truck is currently disabled ie: truck doesn't move when in gear or doesn't start. I would highly recommend getting new keys made & new locks. Someone can easily get into a your vehicle with a key as long as it has the PATS lock system. Simply programming the remote will not deter a criminal.

For mine, all I had to do is , turn the key to auxcillary eight times. on the eighth time leave in in the auxcillary, the lock should cycle letting you know that it is ready to accept the new Frequency. Press your remote----locks cycle again---boo-bam-- you have a new clicker thingy... turn key off and enjoy.

I hope that this works for you.

Laterz
Rage

Alot depends on where you go. I checked at the dealer and it was way overpriced. There is a locksmith in our town who charges 25-35 dollars for the remote,programming is free.

I bought my remote clicky thingy off ebay for 10 bucks and followed the instructions above and it worked just fine. No need to go to the dealer unless you need keys or something. It is extremely easy to program.

Laterz
Rage

I never thought of Ebay :confused: and they are that easy to program........Heck of a deal :thumbsup:
I have been checking out some old threads here,there is a boatload of great info here :cool:

Yep, ebay is the place to go to buy new (or gently used) remotes. I just bought two of the keyfobs for my '97 Eddie Bauer, and programmed them myself easily. The folks I bought the fobs from each included programming instructions, too. All for around $ 21, including shipping!

Programming is definitely easy -- but the thing to remember is that you need to program all of the fobs you plan on using at once. Here's what I did for 2 fobs a little while ago:

1) Turn the ignition from OFF to ACC five times within 10 seconds, leaving it in the ACC position on the fifth time.

2) Listen for the locks to cycle (lock or unlock). This indicates that the system is ready to receive programming.

3) Press the lock button on the first fob you need to program. The locks should cycle to indicate that the signal from this fob has been accepted.

4) Repeat step 3) for the second fob.

5) Turn ignition back to OFF.

Hope this helps.

'94 Eddie Bauer remote?

I just bought a '94 Eddie Bauer and the power locks all work fine. It came with a fob that didn't do anything but I thought it may be the battery. After buying a $3 battery from "the Shack" it still does nothing. After reading these threads I just tried cycling the ignition 5, 8, and even 10 times but no power lock sequence happened... I am now assuming that I either have (1) no remote system ..or (2) a bad remote system. Now for the questions..

A. Is there a specific module I can look for to see if this was ever equipped with remote entry? Someone mentioned there may be something in the left rear quarter (behind the pop off door where the jack/washer/4x4 box is located?)

B. If it is defective, is it just one module that can be replaced with a junk yard item?

C. If I don't have remote entry, can it be easily retrofitted by adding the above mentioned module?

Thanks for any info!

Back