• Register Today It's free!

Need to upgrade rear suspension

hominy

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
I have a 4x2 2007 Sport Trac Limited w/ the 4.6 V8 and factory tow package. I need to upgrade the rear suspension by replacing the coil springs and shocks as I am at the max recommended tow weight.

Can someone recommend a system (by name brand) to pick the rear end up some? I would consider swapping out the springs and/or putting in an air-assisted shock system but my internet search skills are lacking.

thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are at the maximum tow weight already, you should consider trading it for an F-150.
I am not aware of any aftermarket overload kits. Best thing would be to see if someone can make Firestone airbags fit. I don't know if that would be possible. Regardless, you'd be pushing the limit of the driveline and brakes and I think you'd be better off and safer with a bigger truck.
$0.02.

Thx JohnnyO.

The Firestone airbags ... is that what is on 18-wheelers?

My trip is only 50 miles one way and I anticipate pulling this load twice a month.

You could get some custom coils made (http://www.coilsprings.com/, for example), and just have a local shop find the spring rate of your current coils and increase as needed.
However, airbags would be a safer option.

As JohnnyO points out, if you've reached the max tow limit, you really would be better off with an F150 because tow ratings are based on frame, engine, transmission, axle and suspension limits.

Higher rated coils would really just be a solution to get a marginally higher payload rating.

Thx JohnnyO.

The Firestone airbags ... is that what is on 18-wheelers?

Yes. They make smaller versions for pickup trucks. They would have to be custom installed on a Trac if they will work at all since they are designed for solid axle applications. Summit Racing has them. Again, I'm not guaranteeing that they will work or fit. I'm just saying that they're out there.

Thx for the info.

Looking at what I'll need to spend to upgrade the Sport Trac, I've decided to look for an older truck to pull with. There are a couple of 3/4 ton pickups for sale nearby and I'll be checking those. My tow is 100 miles roundtrip and the load is a tractor, so I don't have to look 'purty'! :D

I did contact (http://www.coilsprings.com/) and they quoted a pair of coil springs that would give me +/- 400 lbs of more tongue weight for $285. I thought that was reasonable. But, then I'd have to get them installed and I was leaning towards adding some kind of air-shock systemto go with it.

So, even though the Sport Trac has the power to pull the load, it is just a tad undersized for the job. But, if the need arises, I can always use it.

Back