Need Toe-In measurement in Inches for 2001 ST 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Toe-In measurement in Inches for 2001 ST 4WD

Team Chepsk8

Reaction score
City, State
Easton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trak
Just like it says, what is it? I'm going to check and re-set if needed the old-fashioned way with plates and a tape measure. I'm going to shoot for about 1/16 Toe in, as it's eating the insides of the front tires, so I am guessing it has bad toe-out. I've checked all else, so this is the last check before artillery and big explosives.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your looking for the total width, like to measure between the front tires with a tape measure? That's not how you do it. You measure at the front and back of the tires and subtract. To do it right you need to set up strings along either side of the truck.

Google string method alignment. There are tons of great writeups out there.

Just like it says, what is it? I'm going to check and re-set if needed the old-fashioned way with plates and a tape measure. I'm going to shoot for about 1/16 Toe in, as it's eating the insides of the front tires, so I am guessing it has bad toe-out. I've checked all else, so this is the last check before artillery and big explosives.

I've looked for specs as well with no luck.

I changed all of the front end specs when I installed the camber bolts. I believe the wear on the insides of the tires is from the excessive amount of negative camber. Talking to a Ford Engineer, he claims our trucks had all the negative camber and were made non-adjustable due to the Bronco II rollovers.

With that said I'm currently a 1/16th toe in. I used the toe plates that I use to set-up my road race car and have never had a problem doing it that way. Two tape measures and a helper make it that much faster.

I also set the camber at 1.2 degrees of negative camber. When I started I measured 2.9 degrees of negative camber (road grader).

Good luck, post up your results as I wasn't able to find much information other that take it to a shop for a alignment.

K,

Yes, that is a correct and fancy way. But, I'm a racer, and have had to do so many front end adjustments on the race car with a tape measure and a level at many race tracks, so this is childs play. All I need to check is where the toe is, and then to adjust if needed.

Granted, I'll never get my ST to handle like my roadster, but it does an admirable job for itself.

Thanks NT, you posted while I was typing, and we're on the same page.

Geeeeeez! You would have thought you were asking how to build a space station. Folks, those of us who know race setups ect.,are just looking for the toe specs. Its not hard. Hey, while at it, Im looking to see if the front toe specs are the same for the 2wd while you are at it. Thanks

And, just to add some info, the pass side wheel bearing gave up, so I replaced both sides, and also the sway bar end links (rusted and hard), so now I'll see how the truck does.

Agreed with above, just a simple spec!!!!!!!

Well brother.it looks like its just you and me on this deal here.Im in the process of a complete front end rebuild after my youngest stuffed it in a very large ditch.It has a Camburg 6.0 kit, and this thing when working, works great.It needs a better shock package.But until then,like you,im going to start small,read tire temps across and go from there. i will post up when i get to that point.If you could do the same,that would be great.
Thanks

Just did mine since my son stuffed into a ditch.Replaced ball joints,inner and outer rod ends,and a l/f braided brake line.The inner rod ends were billet pieces from Camburg.
Anyhow,I reset the frone toe to 1/16th out.Seems perfect.Tire temps across the tire are real close.Since he bent the Camburg uprights just a little, I cant get the camber where I want out of it.It needs a little less negative.Its really not that bad if it were to be used more often off road or harder on the street.

Back