Need transmission rebuilt (5R55W) and advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need transmission rebuilt (5R55W) and advice

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
It looks like I need to either rebuild the tranny in my 2003 Mountaineer AWD or buy a rebuilt one and have it installed. I have gotten price quotes from $2,800 to $3,500 for an in-shop rebuild. I see where I can buy a remanufactured tranny for around $1,200-$1,300 and have a local shop install it for $600. The trouble is I don't know if these places that ship the transmissions are reputable. Can anyone here recommend a place that sells a good rebuilt 5R55W tranny for a good price? Thanks in advance.

I cannot add to your thread expect to give you a bump and state that I have the same question. Although mine doesn't seem to be an imminent failure, mine is starting to have very minor issues at 105K and 8 years.

If I can find a reliable rebuilt one, I will likely keep my Ex, if not, I'll probably sell it before the tranny fails.

I would prefer to find a tranny that has had the servos sleeved, and all new wearing internal parts replaced, and fresh valve body and solenoid block, in addition to a new torque converter.

When and if I have to do this, I want the tranny job to be a 100K mile job, not 12-14K or so.

Ditto. I'm in the same boat, looking for the same answer. 02 Explorer, EB 4x4, 150K miles, servo bore wasted, no 2nd & no OD, plus light flashing constantly.

I can replace the tranny myself if I can find a decent deal on a properly rebuilt unit (with sleeved servo bore, etc). Also game for a local shop to do the complete job if the proce isn't outragious (located in New England).

Back