• Register Today It's free!

Need tune up part numbers

LoneStarExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Belton Lake, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited
I'm about to do a very comprehensive "mega tune-up" on our 98 Limited, 4.0 SOHC, two-wheel-driver named "Bessy" in another month or so.

That said, what all can or should be replaced on the vehicle since we're gonna' hit the magic 200K some time this year?

We've had her in all kinds of weather from way below zero to way above 110.

Cost is really no object since Bessy is a member of the family and has been since 1999. More importantly, I don't want to overlook anything during her "renovation".

Thanks for your experience and input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the maintenance history of your vehicle? When is the last time you changed things like plugs and wires, water pump, serpentine belt, oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid? How about a coolant flush? Do a thorough inspection of all the gaskets and expansion plugs, replace as necessary. You probably want to consider stopping by a shop that can clean your fuel injectors, most places offering that service can just plug a machine into your fuel rail without having to remove anything. As for everything else, just as you would any time you perform maintenance. Grease things like balljoints, u-joints, etc. Do not overgrease. Check condition of driveline and suspension components. Pay extra attention to bushings as your truck is getting old enough they should be getting worn out by now and replacing them can be enough to give your truck that new feeling if they are worn out.

Congrats on 200k

I would change the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, pcv, power steering fluid change, oil, Trans fluid change, differential fluid, coolant flush, clean fuel injectors, also check your o2 sensors. also have a mechanic you trust go over everything in your motor.

If you head to Rock Auto, their online catalog is laid out in a format that you can basically go top to bottom and you'll see things that you should replace- they'll read somewhat obvious "oh yeah, I should replace that..." sort of thing. I've spent way too much on there simply because it's so freakin' easy to buy parts. :D

If you go big, there is a forum discount code in the vendor subforum...

there is a forum discount code in the vendor subforum...

dang it Joe, why didn't you say that last week? I just bought a complete fuel pump assembly for an 01 4.0

Back