Need Wiring Diagram - 97 Eddie Bauer w/ JBL Trying to bypass amp! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Wiring Diagram - 97 Eddie Bauer w/ JBL Trying to bypass amp!

97 Eddie Bauer v8

Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Can anyone give me information as to what wires, coming off/from the factory amp, go to which speaker? Wiring colors would be great. I'm trying to bypass the amp so I can hear sound with my aftermarket head unit (Eclipse 7301) and any info would help. I realize they make harnesses and all for this, but this is just in case the harness isn't what I need since I have a good feeling it might not be (everything for me goes wrong)

Thanks!
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you talk to Peripheral like I suggested?? You should be able to use the factory JBL amps with you new head unit. Otherwise, check out a Chilton or Haynes manual, If you don't want to buy one, your local library should have the Chilton manual.

peace

Mike

With the '97 Ford/JBL system in your Explorer, you need to do more than just "bypass the amp". The tuner and all of the "guts" that would normally be in a head unit are contained in the RCU (Rear Control Unit) located in the rear quarter trim. That's why your antenna lead goes back there. This is NOT a simple amp "bypass" like you could do on a '92-'94 Explorer JBL system.

You may as well start from scratch, right at your new head unit, and run the wires directly to an aftermarket amp, and then to your speakers.

Good luck,

Jeff

you should be able to buy a 12 dollar harness that allows you to connect aftermarket HU to factory amp. If you dont want to do this, the easiest thing to do is rewire the whole car.

Can anyone give me information as to what wires, coming off/from the factory amp, go to which speaker? Wiring colors would be great. I'm trying to bypass the amp so I can hear sound with my aftermarket head unit (Eclipse 7301) and any info would help. I realize they make harnesses and all for this, but this is just in case the harness isn't what I need since I have a good feeling it might not be (everything for me goes wrong)

Thanks!
Chris

Back