Needs Danger Ranger Master! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Needs Danger Ranger Master!

worm7986

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Hello i have a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 3.0. When i hit the clutch to shift gears the engine will rev up to 2000-2500 rpm and stay there until i shift into the next gear or i come to a stop. This problem doesn't always happen sometimes i can shift gears or stop and the engine just idles down to the normal idle rpm. I read that it could be the IAC and was instructed to unplug the IAC and see if the engine rpm change. I did that and it was ideling 1000 rpm while plugged in, when i unplugged it, it dropped down to about 700 rpm. That means the IAC is working properly and the problem is somewhere else? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where my danger ranger masters at?

45 minutes isn't a real long time to wait. Give it a day or 2 before you bump.

Can't think of what the "cure" is but I know I've heard of this problem before. Do some searching on here, no need to be ranger specific. Wouldn't hurt to try google as well.

i've heard of a similar problem when the a/c compressor kicks on and off. Have you noticed that having anything to do with it? Does it do it more noticably with the a/c or defroster on?

Could be your TPS. There is a test method for the TPS (measuring voltage across the terminals while running) but I don't have e-copy of the instructions handy right now. Have a look online.

Make sure the TPS is set at the correct ohms. An unset TPS will complicate things such as shifting/idle ect. IACV could cause that too I guess...

Back