• Register Today It's free!

neeed help on 5r55e rebuild

donaldthacker

Reaction score
City, State
va
Year, Model & Trim Level
99, sport w/35" MTZ's
I rebuilt my 5r55e due to a broken reverse band. The trans looked really good when I took it apart and it went back together rather easy.

I used the master kit with new bands seals, clutches, etc.

the results a re somewhat good. I have reverse and I have all forward gears, but only in D.
When I put the trans in manual 1 or 2 it goes in gear but struggles to move. when I accelerate it it will move but its kinda like having the brakes on. ideas?

also my OD light flashes after i have been driving for a bit. it will go off after turning the explorer and then come back on after driveing a bit.

thanks any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i readjusted the front and imed. band and the braking issue went away. Also the OD light does not flash.

The trans shifts good except for now have a 2-3 flare, bad actually. Before this rebuild I had already redone the valve body with the superior kit, sonnax boost valve and the ford tsb.

any ideas? would the band cause this?
I did not have it before I loosened the bands. I went by the spec in this section. 120in.lbs, 2 turns back

Did you replace the band servos when you did the rebuild?

i only changed what came in the kit. I did intsall the spring from the superior kit though.

I drove it some more last night and the braking issue gone due to adjusting the bands again

it will actually shift correctly from time to time. I tried shifting it manually and it would shift correctly most of the time.

it seems to come an go.
The od light was flashing at one time but that stopped. Can I still pull a code if it is not flashing?

I hate to tell you this but you missed a golden opportunity to replace a rubber part that gets baked in that tranny. Word of advice to others - ALWAYS replace the band servos ANYTIME you have the tranny out of the vehicle! They are inexpensive but for some reason never included in a rebuild kit.

the trans seems to be doing ok for the most part. after driving for a while I start to get the 2-3 flare again.

Do I need to adjust the bands after driving a bit?

I did get 2 codes, the OD light has not blinked sinced the first time I adjusted the bands
po731 1st gear error & po734 4th gear error

bot gears seem to work fine, the only issue is the occassional flare

Back