Negative Battery Cable Length.

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Anybody know about what length the main negative battery cable is?

I'm having horrible charging problems, and I believe that's my problem... I can still drive the Explorer around, so I can't remove it, measure and go get it because I'd have no vehicle...

I'm hoping someone else might have a ballpark length for it.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could goto a car audio shop, get the thickest cut amp wire they have, lets say its 5$ a foot, 50" would cost you $20.85, plus maybe 6$ for connectors and such.

(Just a suggestion :p)

Willard,

I plan on buying the cables they sell at Advance Auto and Autozone, same brand I used when I replaced my positive cables a few months ago. I just need to know how long it is before I buy it because I only have one vehicle... if that makes sense.

No, I understand why you need to know the length, that makes sense. But when I redid both of my cables I bought the ones Napa sells. it was really nice to have one that was just plug and play, no worries. It had all the weird connectors and such.

It was right on the money. 50". Although I used two 24" cables. I'll take a picture, but it looks like the negative cable comes from teh engine block, then to another frame ground, then finally to the battery. So I used a 24" length cable from the battery to the first ground, then another 24" cable from the block to the frame ground. Also added a ground from the body of the explorer (from firewall) to the battery as well while I was at it.

I doubt the length within reason matters. The wire gauge and quality of connections sure do.. I shoulda read the whole post.. Auto parts place might have the lengths?

Do thé battery cables, positive and negative have to be so long? The negative I get because of where it attaches at both ends, but the positive is like a foot away from the alternator. Why go all wound the engine? Can I shorten it?

Do thé battery cables, positive and negative have to be so long? The negative I get because of where it attaches at both ends, but the positive is like a foot away from the alternator. Why go all wound the engine? Can I shorten it?

You might be able to shorten it by a few inches but that's not really worth the hassle. The cable still has to go down to the starter.

Charging current is a lot less than starting current. Are you having problems starting? Not trying to suggest you shouldn't replace cables, but don't want you to be wasting time and money. The cable to the starter doesn't go via the alternator, the alternator output goes through a 'fusible link' then to the starter relay (the one by the battery - at least on my two Gen1's).

I just remembered you were asking about the negative cable. The alternator doesn't connect to the battery by a cable, its case grounds to the engine via its bracket. I'd check the fusible link in the alternator output cable if you're not charging at all, and the alternator (have an auto parts store check it for free if you need to) if you're not charging adequately.

Back