Nerf bar/step bar for 97 Sport issues?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nerf bar/step bar for 97 Sport issues??

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
I just installed a set of Westin Nerf bars on my 97 Sport, but it appears I am going to have to modify them as they only half way clear the bottom trim..

My mod will to add spacers so the bar sticks out about an inch more so there is enough to step on and not always stepping on it with your toes..

Anyone else have to do this?

I do not have experience with the Westin's on Explorers, want to post pics? I do know that the Sports without Nerf Bars had a different (somewhat bigger) bottom trim than the one's (like mine) ordered with Nerf Bars. I have been looking for a decent replacement for the stock ones (they are discontinued).

That is exactly it, the bottom trim is in the way...they look good from a distance, but up close they really arn't too functional.

I think if I put some spacers between the bar and the brackets I can bring it out enough so it will be OK.

I searched every where for the factory ones, but nothing, and all the ones at the boneyards were just too rusty.

I will post some piks.

Back