Solved - Neutral Safety Switch Bypass NSS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Neutral Safety Switch Bypass NSS

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Oreo1

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hello

I have been lurking for a whle and have got a lot of useful information off the site. I hope that it isn't a violation of etiquette to jump right in with a question but I have been searching for a few hours and I cannot seem to find a conclusive answer to my question.

I have just finished my A4LD to M5OD swap and I can't get the truck to start.

I have used the EEC from the donor truck, hooked up the electrical connnector to the clutch pedal, rebuilt and tested the starter but it seems I need to bypass this switch.

I have the auto tranny wiring still in place but not the auto tranny which I gleefully took to the dump.

Can I just splice a couple of wires on the 5 pin harness together?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to jump the pink to the red/light blue at the NSS plug from the original automatic. Since it is in series, the clutch pedal safety interlock switch will still function.

You can also connect the purple/orange and the black/pink of the NSS to the reverse light switch of the manual transmission to get the backup lights working.

Thank you very much for the responses, and the bonus of knowing what to do with the backup lights.

Thank you very much for the responses, and the bonus of knowing what to do with the backup lights.
How about one more? If you have 4x4 with an electric shift transfer case, you may have to ground the fifth wire (red/white) at the NSS. On the automatics, the electric t-case was interlocked so that it would only shift when the trans selector was in Neutral (RD/WH switched to ground).

Thanks again for more great info. The truck is 30 miles away at a house with no internet so I very much appreciate the knowledge.

And I went out there tonight, followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly. Truck started right up after over a year parked. Very much appreciated.

And I went out there tonight, followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly. Truck started right up after over a year parked. Very much appreciated.
Good job! Glad it worked out for you.

sweet! gotta love that feeling...

You need to jump the pink to the red/light blue at the NSS plug from the original automatic. Since it is in series, the clutch pedal safety interlock switch will still function.
You can also connect the purple/orange and the black/pink of the NSS to the reverse light switch of the manual transmission to get the backup lights working.

rwenzing, I really can use your experience here.

Not 100% sure where to find the NSS wires on the 95 auto engine harness. I have removed the 95 auto trans harness and installed a 95 manual trans harness to a 94 M5, during a swap. I need to jump these wires to eliminate a no crank issue.

I have been told to jump pin 1 & 4 on this connector on the auto trans harness. This connector is on the trans end of the auto harness, it leads to the engine harness connector that I have nothing to right now. The manual trans harness only uses the pass side engine harness connector.

2520504220089462589S600x600Q85.jpg

I want to leave the auto trans harness off and do the jumper at the engine harness connector. Will the pins be the same on the engine harness connector, and will a simple push on wire connector jumping the two pins work? I can't find the stock CPP connector under the dash, and it is supposed to be jumped already from the factory. I can live without for now, I just need to get the starter bypassed. Oh, and a 95 manual ECM has been installed already.

Thanks for any input.
G~

Edit: with the help of this thread I was able to get the jumper in the right place. It cranks, but now I have a NO start issue to figure out.

And another A4LD gone and out of an explorer just hooked up the reverse lights. Glad someone posted the wire colors. Hopfully tomorrow I can take the old snorkelator for a spin :D

Back