• Register Today It's free!

XLT Owner- Is Tuning Worth It?

Broncoblair

Reaction score
City, State
LA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
So I have been reading on the forums for a few days. Seems like tuning is a popular and easy mod to the Ex. I notice that most people tuning have Sports. I have an XLT.

Has anyone successfully tuned with Livernois for an XLT or non Sport? What do you notice the most? Did the gas mileage get better?

I live in LA. I'd love to save some more on gas. But I'd also like a little more get up and go as well. Before I go blow $500, I'd like to know that it would be worth it to me.

I notice there are options for the tune? Does that mean once you tune you can't retune unless you pay another $500 ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the tune seems to have options for which fuels to use and engine management. I do believe I have read in another thread on here that if they offer an update and is applicable to your purchase that you can download it and upload to your EX.
Check out this thread for HP updates with the tune on the NA 3.5
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420064

So I have been reading on the forums for a few days. Seems like tuning is a popular and easy mod to the Ex. I notice that most people tuning have Sports. I have an XLT.

I notice there are options for the tune? Does that mean once you tune you can't retune unless you pay another $500 ?

That is not what that means at all! After you purchase the MyCal tuner we support tuning updates as well as updates for most modifications that you make on your end.

What happens if you install a 93 Performance tune and later fill up with 91 or 89?

Sometimes there is no 93 when I travel cross country...

What happens if you install a 93 Performance tune and later fill up with 91 or 89?

You would have to change tunes...never put another octance in if you have a 93...my buddy had a 93 tune for his mustang..put in 91 and 200 miles later was getting the ping and knocking... Can ruin a lot and NOT work this major risk IMO

You can get a 91 tune and 93 and just switch if no 93 in the area

Does this unit have to stay in the vehicle at all times/be mounted or how does it work to select between fuel types? Sorry if this is a dumb question but would like to avoid "sticking" something on the dash.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/LME%2dAIW-2013%2b-Ford-Explorer-Tuner.html
Here's a thread which describes the Livernois tune update process and the MyTune device in some detail. The subject vehicle was my Xsport but it should be the same for the non turbo.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428216

I have four tunes + stock tune loaded and it takes about 10 min to switch between tunes once you are familiar with the process. Don't use less than 93 octane fuel if you have a 93 tune loaded. Like Pup, I leave the tuner in my console when I'm traveling out of town.

YMMV, but I'm extremely happy with the Livernois tunes and the Livernois service.

Like Pup, I leave the tuner in my console when I'm traveling out of town.

YMMV, but I'm extremely happy with the Livernois tunes and the Livernois service.

Everywhere I go has 93..i only leave it in incase something major happens and it has to go right to dealer so I can switch it back to stock ect otherwise I would leave it at home .

But ya I am very happy with the tune

Here's a thread which describes the Livernois tune update process and the MyTune device in some detail. The subject vehicle was my Xsport but it should be the same for the non turbo.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428216

I have four tunes + stock tune loaded and it takes about 10 min to switch between tunes once you are familiar with the process. Don't use less than 93 octane fuel if you have a 93 tune loaded. Like Pup, I leave the tuner in my console when I'm traveling out of town.

Everywhere I go has 93..i only leave it in incase something major happens and it has to go right to dealer so I can switch it back to stock ect otherwise I would leave it at home .

But ya I am very happy with the tune

Thanks guys! Glad to see that you love your tunes! And thanks for the awesome advice!

Does this unit have to stay in the vehicle at all times/be mounted or how does it work to select between fuel types? Sorry if this is a dumb question but would like to avoid "sticking" something on the dash.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/LME%2dAIW-2013%2b-Ford-Explorer-Tuner.html

Once you flash your custom tune onto your truck the tuner will tell you that it has successfully programmed your truck and then to disconnect the tuner. THAT'S IT! We recommend that you always keep your MyCal in the glovebox or console because you never know when that always feared teen texting or lady putting on her makeup and driving might decide to play bumper cars! So because the repair shop or dealership will access your OBDii port you want that stock tune on there. SAFETY FIRST!

You would NEVER do that. We supply you with the ability to store 4 custom tunes PLUS your stock tune file at any given time. So let's say you live in Texas where 93 is everywhere, and you raod trip to California where 91 is the best fuel that you can get. All that you would do is load a 91 performance tune, and keep on truckin'.

Thanks guys! Glad to see that you love your tunes! And thanks for the awesome advice!

Once you flash your custom tune onto your truck the tuner will tell you that it has successfully programmed your truck and then to disconnect the tuner. THAT'S IT! We recommend that you always keep your MyCal in the glovebox or console because you never know when that always feared teen texting or lady putting on her makeup and driving might decide to play bumper cars! So because the repair shop or dealership will access your OBDii port you want that stock tune on there. SAFETY FIRST!

You would NEVER do that. We supply you with the ability to store 4 custom tunes PLUS your stock tune file at any given time. So let's say you live in Texas where 93 is everywhere, and you raod trip to California where 91 is the best fuel that you can get. All that you would do is load a 91 performance tune, and keep on truckin'.

Thanks for the outstanding reply!

I'd like to get my hands on the tuner for my '14 3.5L NA.
When I purchase the tuner can I get multiple maps for it (87, 91, 87 towing etc) or do I have to purchase the Maps separately?
Also,
I remember seeing a $100 coupon for Livernois on these forums at one point is that coupon still available?

Thanks,

I'd like to get my hands on the tuner for my '14 3.5L NA.
When I purchase the tuner can I get multiple maps for it (87, 91, 87 towing etc) or do I have to purchase the Maps separately?
Also,
I remember seeing a $100 coupon for Livernois on these forums at one point is that coupon still available?

Thanks,

Hey Chris, our tuner will actually arrive to you blank with a list of info and how to retrieve said info. We need that info in order to build your custom tune files. You then email that info to us along with the other tidbits that we ask of you and 24-48 hours later, BAM! You have an email with a link to our secure server to download your tune files. We do not tune VIA email as those files can become corrupted.

We do not charge you for individual maps. Once you purchase tuner we support your tuning needs. We do not continually dig into your pockets.

Looks like you got all the feedback you need but just in case you are on the fence still. I have had my tune for over 6 months now and still love it every day. Thanks Livernois

Hi all, thanks for the add. I’ve been reading a bunch and probably missed it? We have an 18 XLT, pretty metallic white and nice wheels. Black leather or vinyl, and the LED pack. 3.5, 6 speed. 14,500 so far. Right off when accelerating the exhaust smell was pretty strong. Dealer had it a week and it seems they got it fixed. Now the question?
Is there a tune, chip, etc, I can do or get done to improve the overall performance and maybe a little fuel mileage thrown in?? Ford says it rated the 3.5 at 270? It’s fun to drive and full throttle runs to “up there” also include a little front drive dodge and weave. First thing I did was wax with Turtle Wax ICE paste. It’s one of almost none with UV protection because here in Florida, nothing survives without UV protection. We tinted all the windows including the windshield legal stuff.
thanks for the addition, bill

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one on tuning. There are other threads as well that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature but most of them are about the Sport and other Ecoboost engines.
Here is another one you might be interested in. Tunes for the N/A 3.5L Explorers

Peter

Has anyone done an 87 octane tune? Is there any reason to do this? I really don't want to pay more for gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back