• Register Today It's free!

New 1997 Explorer XLT

serial

Reaction score
City, State
Collegeville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Just picked up a 1997 Explorer XLT V8 AWD(Limited? No emblem) in amazing condition, I loved it on the test drive, and i loved it the whole way home. I paid 1700$ for it, knowing there would be a couple repairs in order, and that's just fine. First I need to replace the rear driver-side leaf spring, which is no biggie. My only question about that is would i be ok from junk yard, or purchase new? Also, if i purchase new, should i do both at the same time like one would struts or springs, or would just one be ok?

My next problem is camshaft position sensor, which i've been told is not uncommon on the v8 to be the cause of a check engine light going off. I picked one up for 35$, and started reading. A bit beyond my realm of experience, so going to the shop for that.

The last thing really perplexes me. I've pulled a lot of engine codes before, and worked on a lot of cars, but never gotten this. "P1000 - OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete." Anyone that could explain that one to me it would be greatly appriciated. Could it be thrown due to the bad camshaft position sensor?

All help is much appriciated. Here's a couple pictures of my new truck:
explorer%20005.jpg
explorer%20004.jpg
explorer%20002.jpg
explorer%20012.jpg
explorer%20011.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P-1000 means the OBD testing cycle has not completed. Needs certain driving experiences to assemble any possible codes. If the PCM was recently reset, then it has to be driven for a while (there is a specific protocol available that states the exact driving situations needed to complete the cycle.) In reality, drive it for 30 or so minutes in city and highway conditions and it will finish the cycle.

Oh, and nice truck- looks like a good deal.

it does look like a good deal...good find

Welcome to the site!

With your leaf springs I haven’t heard of guys just replacing one unless of a problem even so in your case you might want to get two because after a while they get a little bit of sag in them. If you just get one you might come up a little uneven (not much) but if that’s a big deal to you then you might want to go with two. That’s a nice looking X you got there for a darn good deal! Interior looks clean and outside looks nice. How many miles on it? On the code, I got that last year when my computer was reset, after about two days the code was taken care of; I drove a mix or highway and city. As for the camshaft position sensor (I think its code 214) there are a lot of old threads on it. Search “camshaft position sensor” and about 10 pages worth of info will come up for you. I think that part costs around $70 at AutoZone so you got a good deal. Well good luck and welcome again.

Thanks much for your input guys. Truck has 150k miles on it, and spent the first 8 of it's 9 years of life as a corporate fleet vehicle, and the last year as some guy's weekend warrior when going to the beach. Thing really is in immaculate condition though, i love it. I'm going to do both leaf springs in the back though, only $170 on parts for new ones, really can't argue with that. Also the bug guard on the front didn't come with it, but it defidently did not look right without it. Also getting window rain guards and popping them on this week. It's crazy... the truck still has that "new car smell" though that may be due to the mints i have in the glove box :)

ok, 1700 was a pretty good deal. I've since put in 380 for the thing the cam shaft position sensor attaches to, 500 for all new breaks, rotors, 2 break lines, e-brake shoes, two new leaf springs and 2 new studs and lugs on one side, then 500 for all new tires brings new total to 3080, still not bad and well below blue book, but not the deal i thought i had found. Either way i love it, and with everything i replaced i shouldn't have to worry about anything else for a while.

Back