New 2015 Tux Sport with body damage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 2015 Tux Sport with body damage

Lugnuts

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Tux sport, 06 Duramax
Hey all,
I just picked up a new '15 sport on the 6th, after leaving the dealership I stop after 10 miles to get some food and notice two small dings on the rear quarter panel crease by the passenger door, I immediately call the dealer back and send pictures, they agreed to have it fixed. They told me they have a guy that removes dings for them on one day of the week and to show up then.

When I drop the car off the manager and I both agree that the dings look like a factory defect cause there is two chips on the edge of the crease and the door would have been damaged too, the door doesn't have a scratch on it.

The dealership dent repair guy says he cannot repair on the spot because the ding is in a bad location and does the work at his shop, well the dings are gone and looks ok but he created a whole new ****storm.
1. You can see sanding marks around the repair area
2. The metallic in the tuxedo black doesn't 'pop', it has a dull look compared to the untouched areas
3. the orange peel from the new clear coat does NOT come close to the factory orange peel

I pointed the above out to the manager and salesman and we all agreed on the above flaws.

They want to wax & buff it out and see if that cures the problem (which I know it will not) if not they will send it in to a local body shop for re-repair.

at this point I would have the two dings vs the above, I am trying to keep my cool and they are being very cooperative but I am starting to get annoyed that my new baby is tainted and now has 250 miles (90% of the miles is back and forth to the dealership)

What would you guys do at this point?? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I agree that this would be very frustrating, it seems the dealer is being very cooperative. I'm sure the option of them trying to buff it out is just them trying every option before sending it off to a body repair shop. It's unfortunate that this flaw was not caught by the final inspectors at the factory. I think keeping your cool is best as long as they are continuing to be cooperative. It will pay off in the long run when you take it back for service. If they start to ignore you and the problem, that's the time to go spider monkey on them. Good luck and keep us updated.

Another reason you check everything over with a fine toothed comb BEFORE leaving the dealer. If the dings were found there before you left, then you had options of refusal, or having it fixed. Now you are stuck with trying to get it fixed to your satisfaction. From reading your post, you are never going to be satisfied.

See what the dealer will do for you in trade for a different car. I'm sure you won't like the numbers, but then you might be satisfied.

Does the Tuxedo Black paint use a clear coat? You would be surprised how many metallic paint jobs do not use a clear coat. If it does not then the "pop" you don't see is because they sanded out the Metallic paint which is a NO NO. When you sand Metallic flake paint it dulls the actual metal flakes in the paint and then must be repainted then clear coated to bring out that "pop". Even if you sand out the metal flake paint, you can't just re-clear coat it. You have to respray the base color then clear coat it.

As long as the dealership is working with you to try and solve the problem, keep your cool and work with them. Remember, when you drove off the lot, you took possession of the vehicle and technically the dealer is off the hook. However, to avoid bad publicity and hopefully keep a loyal customer, they should do whatever repairs necessary to satisfy you. Worst case, they will try to pay you off, like they did to me. In the meantime, if you know any good aftermarket body shops, take it to them to see what the options are, then see if your dealer will cover the cost.

Another reason you check everything over with a fine toothed comb BEFORE leaving the dealer. If the dings were found there before you left, then you had options of refusal, or having it fixed. Now you are stuck with trying to get it fixed to your satisfaction. From reading your post, you are never going to be satisfied.

See what the dealer will do for you in trade for a different car. I'm sure you won't like the numbers, but then you might be satisfied.

Halwg,

If it was 85% new looking I would be satisfied, however It is not even 50%. my OP may have sounded like I busted out a magnifying glass and picking it a part but that is not the case. You can easily see it.

I just got back from the dealership, they waxed and polished it but it was still not upto par. The manager thought it was acceptable and said you won't get close to new with metallic paint. I offered to drive it to a body shop of their choice and have a third set of eyes be the deciding factor if im "too picky" and if they say its acceptable I will gladly go on my way. while the body shop manager and I were walking towards the vehicle he said "oh wow, I can already see where he sprayed it" He mentioned how the sanding marks is the filler and how he did not prep the surface right, the clear coat is very thin and has no protection at all. he said very unacceptable.

He has been the go to guy for the dealership for years and he is disappointed they didn't bring it to him first to do it right the first time.

He called his contact at the dealership and they accepted the work to be done. :thumbsup:

As long as the dealership is working with you to try and solve the problem, keep your cool and work with them. Remember, when you drove off the lot, you took possession of the vehicle and technically the dealer is off the hook. However, to avoid bad publicity and hopefully keep a loyal customer, they should do whatever repairs necessary to satisfy you. Worst case, they will try to pay you off, like they did to me. In the meantime, if you know any good aftermarket body shops, take it to them to see what the options are, then see if your dealer will cover the cost.

Yeah I understand, thats why I am thankful for all the support they are offering. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back