New 4.0L engine with a front and rear axle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 4.0L engine with a front and rear axle.

ronz8595

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
85BIIregn87BIIEXT
Hi all, I want to put a newer 4.0 V-6 and front and rear axal and radiator out of a 90ish Ford Explorer into my 85 Ford Bronco II ! How hard is it ? Do I need a kit ? Also looking for a Ford Ranger Ext.cab and box no motor no trans. I also dont need fenders or hood for the Ranger ! Gonna marry the Ranger and Bronco II !!! Thx :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should make for an interesting marriage mate! Gday and welcome:):thumbsup:

thx dude ! proubly a lot less money and headache than my marriage ! lol btw you got a nice mustang

well the 1st gen swaps are common and are pretty straight forward...

8.8 rear you will need to flip your shackle mounts from under axle to the top, also i beleive u need to change the shock mounts as well...

the D35 swap in is supposed to be direct swap over with very little to no mods,

the axle swaps are straight forward, i suggest doing any axle maint before mounting them (ie. lockers, gears whatever your doing to them) for ease of access....

as far as the 4.0 i dont know what that includes however i imagine like any swap u need to change up your motor mounts and crossmembers...

thx dude ! I am picking up a 87 BII XLT in the next few days Woop woop ! Got it for a great price !! Has a blown motor , but perfect Ext. with new paint and int. is darn near perfect !!! My 85 BII ( the Brown beast ) has a good 2.9 EFI so gonna swap and dd the 87 BII XLT ( Sweet Blue ) . Not sure how Much I wanna do with the 85 Reg. BII maybe V-8 it will see !!!

search on here and on bII.org for swap info on the 4.0, bret and 410fortune have both done this swap and documented on this site. congrats on the bII they are great little rigs

thx dude much coolness ! !

ive a couple V8 BII's ... be warned, in cab will stay hot...you wont need to use a heater lol.... i suggest go 4.0L, supercharge and chip it if u want performance...

what is your plans, trail rig or DD/Weekend Warrior? also what color is this 87?

thx dude ! well the 85 Reg.BII ( brown beast ) trail rig no crawler ! The 87 XLT ( Sweet Blue ) is gonna be my DD !! Its really very nice and almost all stock . The both of them I want very reliable and lots of fun for a very long time I also have a 95 Gasp ! Dodge Neon 4 door sport .

yah i wish in alot of ways that i kept my 87 stock, just some things id do differently, like sell the dam money pit and get me a 1st gen xploder! dont get me wrong, i love the BII, just im 5'11 260ish so its a bit cramped lol...

gets some pics and start a registry in the BII registry forum....

thx dude ! O i c well I have plans to upgrade the 87 BII EXT ( Sweet Blue ) I have a 91 Exp. that i am gonna strip and put it all on and in my sweet blue but thats later ! wanna take the 85 Reg.BII ( Brown beast ) and take just the body and put it on a shortened frame of a 3/4 ton Ford p/u . anybody done that ? or take a Bronco II body and put it on a shortened Exp. Frame ?

if you have F/B I am on there as well ! Ronald Brown from Blaine Washington . add me as friend if you want I have pics of me my family and My Sweet Blue 87 BII XLT . btw not good at posting pics lol thx all

just be aware, frame swaps, you'll have to get new vins from DMV... or at least the case in california ive seen.... BII frame is pretty stout as is, just check for rust in the corners and at the x-member

thx dude ! will check it out

well on 02/19/11 I got the 87 BII XLT delivered to my place cost $150.00 for transport and $400.00 for ( Sweet Blue ) Woop woop

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

going from 1st gen explorer to b2 is easy - swap dash and all the wiring harness. pretty easy just time consuming

Back