New 4x4 Shift Motor... Still Nothing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 4x4 Shift Motor... Still Nothing

burning_soul07

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
So, long story short, 4x4 started to barely engage. Then the 4x4 light was stuck on, but not engaged. We figured the motor position sensor jumped track and lost place of where it was. Was going to open it up, but its wifes truck, she said just buy a new one. Bought a new one, and installed it. Still nothing.

We can hear the computer in back clicking. We unhooked the battery during installation. And now nothing. When the shift motor was off, we put the truck in 4x4 manually and it worked perfect.

Any suggestions? Did I miss something?

There is no fuse for this, correct? I have a multimeter, I will probably check voltages here in a minute, make sure the motor is getting power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you may have to reset the shift module after changing the motor. also check the shift indicator pick up. mine cracked and needed replaced. its next to the shift motor on the tcase should be held in with the steel clip that goes to 2 of the shift motor bolts. hope this helps

So, if the shift indicator pickup wasn't working properly, the motor wouldn't even try to run?

Just an observation...It is amazing how much can go wrong with these so called automatic hub set ups...When you look at the automatic hub systems for Fords, GM's and Dodge you see a real hodge podge of cluster f**ks...Just my rant because I have victimized with auto systems throughout the years...Never again !

I had to splice to 3 wires in that aren't on the shift motor itself, because the new shift motor didn't come with the sensor or the black wire that run to the transfer case. So, I spliced those in before the harness connector plug.

I looked around the site and I can't find anywhere on here that tells me the wires and what they are.

This really sucks I need to find at least what wires power the shift motor, so I can see if it is defective or not.

41861813_80e8e.gif.html

I hope this will help you. Motor wires are orange and yellow.
Cheers

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for. I got to go to work, but this weekend we will know more. Thanks for the reply.

So, I tested the orange and yellow pins on the ten plug wire harness at the shift motor, no power when pushing the 4x4 button. Should I go grab a new computer for the 4x4 from a boneyard?

There was no change at the pins on the connector at the computer either when the 4x4 button is pushed.

Anything that I am missing to check?

Everything is now fine! I think it was a bad connection at tthe 10 pin plug. I cleaned it, took the whole shift motor back off and put it all back together. Now it works fine, 4x4 high and low!

Thanks everyone.

Back