New 5 spd manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New 5 spd manual

Would it be possible to put the new 5 speed manual tranny that comes withe the SOHC 4.0L on the OHV that came with the 5 spd manual Mazda tranny?
I believe the shaft legth and diameters are the same on the 2 4.0L engines...

Any one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I must have gotten "a line" when I bought my 97 SOHC.
The dealer told me the manual was not available with SOHC. That particlular dealership did subsequently prove themselves to be total jerks, so in hindsight , they were probably lying.
But at the time and I thought I checked the bouchure. ????????? If the animal exists, the center console must have a look all of its own? How would that interior and console be set up? or would even be there?

????Did your comment: "the new 5 speed manual tranny" mean it WAS available on later models?????

....then I'm still back to the console set up and even if the tranny fits (and with all the work that goes with it) that part might be a real pain to make look pretty.

What am I missing?

5 spd manual was only available for the 4.0L OHV. Starting this year they released the 5 Spd manual on the SOHC.

Mine is a '97 and like you when I bought it wanted a 5spd manual on the SOHC, but it is true, not available then.

The console is just a storage unit and two cup holders, it is not a floor console. In front of it is the shifter.

Now i'm happy.....I know the 5sp manual was not available in '97 haha thanks

I think its could be tricky with the "on board computer"
I think the "puter" that is in there, wants to hear something from the transmission. Other than hooking up whatever wires are left to a 9 volt battery.... it's something to think about before you get out the tools.

But I would love to see you do it ..then you could show me!

That might be true for the automatic, but I don't think it'd apply to the manual... let's hope.

I think my comment was not clearly stated:
I f you have a automatice and you change to stick, the compuer currently in your car mignt get confused, looking for an automatic signall. an puter for an auto trans trying to hand shake with a maual trans

True, but this post is referring from Manual to Manual.

never mind!

Well, for those who may wonder, apparently the bolt pattern and pretty much everything else should be a straight fit. The problem would be to get a hold of one of these puppies. Ford won't sell one, and would only give a dealer one under a warranty repair.

Too bad!

Try a junkyard. There are quite a few rolled X's out there an on line one is ezfindparts.com

unbelievable!
what are they afraid of? you may fix your own car?
(they must be low on stock)
Sounds like a restrait of free trade and some Ralph Nader Issue haha
(thinking, it could be! haha The question? Where does it stop? "No we can't sell you an oil filter...cause they are only for the dealers..so we can make more money on changes")
Kinda makes you want to push the issue, but we know that's a brick wall.
Any attorneys out there?
Good luck on your quest to find one.

Last I heard, the New 5-speed was still not availible, because of Design flaws. Any body seen a 2001 sport or sport trac with a 5-speed yet?

MTX

I have a 2001 Sport with the 5-speed MTX!

Back