• Register Today It's free!

New 8” screen without sync?

Chickensandwich

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Utility
I’m just getting my 2018 Utility and it comes with the crappy 4” screen and no Sync. What are my after market options? I’d love to just pop in an 8” screen and get some kind of Bluetooth adapter for streaming music, but from what I’m finding, I might be stuck with the 4” screen. I looked at the 12” Phoenix Android screens, but not only do they get horrible reviews, it sounds like sync might be needed?
I’m not familiar with sync at all other than knowing that if you don’t have it in your car already, you never will have it.

id be happy with a bigger screen, but if anyone has ideas of taking it further (no Havis 12” screen at $3600, thank you), please let me know!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m finding zero options here. I don’t think an iPad would mount in dash very well. The Phoenix radio 12” looks like a big thumbs down. This kinda sucks...

id be happy with a bigger screen, but if anyone has ideas of taking it further (no Havis 12” screen at $3600, thank you), please let me know!!

I think it's down to $2,500 now, not that that's much consolation.

Bump. Anyone install ANY aftermarket Android decks? Just want some feedback relevant to this vehicle

Bump. Anyone install ANY aftermarket Android decks? Just want some feedback relevant to this vehicle
I’ve found absolutely nothing other than the Havis ICS. If you want to drop $3500, you can get one, but hurry, it’s discontinued. Other than that, there’s nothing. Even that Phoenix 12” crap needs sync. Why Ford crippled its users with non-sync vehicles is beyond me.

I’ve found absolutely nothing other than the Havis ICS. If you want to drop $3500, you can get one, but hurry, it’s discontinued. Other than that, there’s nothing. Even that Phoenix 12” crap needs sync. Why Ford crippled its users with non-sync vehicles is beyond me.
Okay my apologies. I was lucky that mine did come with Sync 2 which already has Bluetooth and that dialpad on the 4" display. Did that change things?

Okay my apologies. I was lucky that mine did come with Sync 2 which already has Bluetooth and that dialpad on the 4" display. Did that change things?
if you vehicle come with sync, why you don't update to a 8" screen?

i did find this one and i will give a try a soon as is back in stock, if isn't working i can return it within 30 days https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R8LMVLP/?tag=serious-20

Anyone know what a totaled Explorer woth some good front end damage goes for at auction? Maybe just snag one that has a good interior compartment and snag the modules, wiring,Sync, etc and just swap it all over. Yeah it would be tedious but woth the whole harness you got you everything to put Sync in without having to rerun or find the pinout differences.

Anyone know what a totaled Explorer woth some good front end damage goes for at auction? Maybe just snag one that has a good interior compartment and snag the modules, wiring,Sync, etc and just swap it all over. Yeah it would be tedious but woth the whole harness you got you everything to put Sync in without having to rerun or find the pinout differences.
sync is tie to the vin number, so even if you can manage to do what you want to do, you need to have a dealer involved, the question is, is it worth it?

That’s the Phoenix Android that requires sync.
did you bother reading the description? just because look like the one that phoenix sell, doesn't mean is the same, this one unlike the phoenix will NOT work if you have sync, this one come with manual or auto AC, (phoenix only auto AC)

did you bother reading the description? just because look like the one that phoenix sell, doesn't mean is the same, this one unlike the phoenix will NOT work if you have sync, this one come with manual or auto AC, (phoenix only auto AC)
Yeah I bothered. I also saw the model. It’s the same model I contacted the company about. I showed them the model, explained what I had, took a photo of my dash as they requested. SO, what you have here is either a company who is clueless on their products. A stupid employee answering inquiries, OR that one model is a unicorn and it should be purchased immediately. Based on the company ratings, the tech support and customer support ratings, I’m guessing they may have been incorrect, but who knows.

In any event, I didn’t appreciate the tone of your reply. I passed along info based on what the company who actually makes the item, passed on to me. “These units all require sync, thank you for your inquiry”

if you vehicle come with sync, why you don't update to a 8" screen?
I don't believe it is a simple plug and play it I would. There is a gent that did successfully upgrade his 4" to 8" on a 2015 but he made custom harnesses and all kinda jazz bc no sync. Said it was a "Huge" undertaking

What did you end up doing? I was wondering if I would be able to get an entire 8" screen plus all the guts inside from a donor vehicle, if I'd be able to switch it out & be good to go? All I really want is to be able to play bluetooth songs from my phone. I have a transmitter but there's always a bit of annoying static.

Back