• Register Today It's free!

New Aluminum Radiator

Bklein711

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer EB
Looking to replace my radiator as well as the thermostat while I'm at it. I have an 07 Explorer with 167k miles, and I tow a pop up camper about 2500 lbs, is there any benefit to a 4 row aluminum radiator over a 2 row radiator? Thanks for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There probably is more capacity to cool but is it needed? Ford designed the cooling system to meet the needs of the towing capacity specs of the vehicle. IMO, deviating from these specs is warranted when extreme durability is needed or modifications are made (i.e. forced induction etc.) that require extra cooling capacity. On an otherwise stock vehicle being used within the towing specifications any cooling items exceeding stock parts is mostly done for peace of mind. It won't hurt anything to go with a more capable radiator but it probably isn't necessary. Have you had issues with the current radiator for most of its life?

There probably is more capacity to cool but is it needed? Ford designed the cooling system to meet the needs of the towing capacity specs of the vehicle. IMO, deviating from these specs is warranted when extreme durability is needed or modifications are made (i.e. forced induction etc.) that require extra cooling capacity. On an otherwise stock vehicle being used within the towing specifications any cooling items exceeding stock parts is mostly done for peace of mind. It won't hurt anything to go with a more capable radiator but it probably isn't necessary. Have you had issues with the current radiator for most of its life?
Thanks yeah i figured that was the case, just wanted to see what others thought. No issues with current radiator keeping it cool even with the slow leak I've had for a while. I just got this one off amazon - Amazon.com: ALLOYWORKS 2 Row All Aluminum Radiator Fits For 2006-2007 Ford Explorer Sport Track 4.0L 4.6L V6 V8 US: Automotive

The good thing about that radiator is it eliminates the plastic end caps. This is a plus over the OEM design.
That was the main reason i wanted to go with the all aluminum one to get away from that design. hopefully everything lines up, can't find any reviews on people buying these and how they worked. I'll report back after install.

That was the main reason i wanted to go with the all aluminum one to get away from that design. hopefully everything lines up, can't find any reviews on people buying these and how they worked. I'll report back after install.
Only thing I couldn't find looking at the photo is the trans cooler ports. It looks like they're welded over with a cap. Maybe it's just a foil seal or something? I'm curious to know if it's there when you receive it. Would you move to an external trans cooler or send it back?

Only thing I couldn't find looking at the photo is the trans cooler ports. It looks like they're welded over with a cap. Maybe it's just a foil seal or something? I'm curious to know if it's there when you receive it. Would you move to an external trans cooler or send it back?
I'm guessing its just a plastic cap over the holes, I'll let you know but it they are in fact permanently covered I'll probably be sending it back.

I'm guessing its just a plastic cap over the holes, I'll let you know but it they are in fact permanently covered I'll probably be sending it back.
Fingers crossed! I just found the radiator's leaking on my 07. Not fast yet but it will need to be fixed eventually. As much as I hear of the stock ones leaking I'm really curious about how this goes for you.

Fingers crossed! I just found the radiator's leaking on my 07. Not fast yet but it will need to be fixed eventually. As much as I hear of the stock ones leaking I'm really curious about how this goes for you.

Good news, I got the radiator and it looks awesome.

Bad news, the transmission line inlets are not 1/2" but rather 3/8" so I might have to modify the transmission lines involving putting some AN fittings on the factory lines or getting an adapter. Will keep you posted.

Hopefully you can post some pics of the solution.

So, here is what I had to do, took me a week with some delayed delivery on some parts from Amazon but finally got it done tonight…

The fittings on the new radiator for the transmission lines are 5/8-18 female with an inverted flare. Depending on what you want to do here you can get a 5/8-18 male inverted flare x 3/8 hose barb and mend with the factory hose past the metal tubing with some hose clamps, or…

What I did is a 5/8-18 male inverted flare x -8AN fitting and an -8AN x 1/2" barb straight, cut the original quick connector off the transmission line tubing and pushed the new 1/2” transmission cooler hose line on the barb and clamping it, then pushing over the factory tubing (where I cut the factory quick connect off) over the lip in the line to hold the plastic connector and clamped it behind that lip. Below are the parts I purchased to make it work. I also had to grind out a little of the rubber bushing in the plastic support pieces to fit the radiator in correctly at the bottom as you can see in the picture. Make sure you grind this down enough so that those studs on the bottom of the radiator fit into the support pieces enough not to pop out while driving.

Inside of new radiator transmission cooler port:
61573972592__7302090C-7517-45B3-B53A-3B22720DEE0A.JPG

Russell 5/8-18 inverted flair x -8AN fitting installed in radiator
IMG_2960.jpg

61592522848__8E3D2DA8-8740-4532-A67F-E9B38660D0D5.JPG

61592519786__E4FAB94A-B798-401E-920F-41FEBFFC0065.JPG

rubber bushing chiseled out some, i took the dremel to grind it down some more
IMG_2962.jpg

Evil Energy -8AN x 1/2" barb hose fitting
IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

all installed, fit perfectly minus the fitting of the rubber bushings
IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075B5RMHZ/?tag=serious-20

Amazon.com: Gates 27065 Transmission Oil Cooler Hose: Automotive

Amazon.com: Russell 640400 -8AN Male to 5/8"-18 Inverted Flare Power Steering Adapter: Automotive

A very informative post, great job.

So, here is what I had to do, took me a week with some delayed delivery on some parts from Amazon but finally got it done tonight…

The fittings on the new radiator for the transmission lines are 5/8-18 female with an inverted flare. Depending on what you want to do here you can get a 5/8-18 male inverted flare x 3/8 hose barb and mend with the factory hose past the metal tubing with some hose clamps, or…

What I did is a 5/8-18 male inverted flare x -8AN fitting and an -8AN x 1/2" barb straight, cut the original quick connector off the transmission line tubing and pushed the new 1/2” transmission cooler hose line on the barb and clamping it, then pushing over the factory tubing (where I cut the factory quick connect off) over the lip in the line to hold the plastic connector and clamped it behind that lip. Below are the parts I purchased to make it work. I also had to grind out a little of the rubber bushing in the plastic support pieces to fit the radiator in correctly at the bottom as you can see in the picture. Make sure you grind this down enough so that those studs on the bottom of the radiator fit into the support pieces enough not to pop out while driving.

Inside of new radiator transmission cooler port:
View attachment 318664

Russell 5/8-18 inverted flair x -8AN fitting installed in radiator
View attachment 318665
View attachment 318666
View attachment 318667
rubber bushing chiseled out some, i took the dremel to grind it down some more
View attachment 318668
Evil Energy -8AN x 1/2" barb hose fitting
View attachment 318669
View attachment 318670
all installed, fit perfectly minus the fitting of the rubber bushings
View attachment 318671
View attachment 318672
View attachment 318673
View attachment 318674
Amazon product ASIN B075B5RMHZ
Amazon.com: Gates 27065 Transmission Oil Cooler Hose: Automotive

Amazon.com: Russell 640400 -8AN Male to 5/8"-18 Inverted Flare Power Steering Adapter: Automotive
How has the radiator held up this last year? I ordered what looks to be the same one from radiator express, just waiting on my fittings for the cooler line. I was on my third mishimoto plastic tank replacement in a year, hopefully this will fix that issue.

How has the radiator held up this last year? I ordered what looks to be the same one from radiator express, just waiting on my fittings for the cooler line. I was on my third mishimoto plastic tank replacement in a year, hopefully this will fix that issue.
It’s held up awesome, never gets above half way, put over 5k towing miles on it with our camper. Of which 2k was in the middle of this summer with not a single issue. Very happy with it and glad I didn’t go the plastic tank route again!

It’s held up awesome, never gets above half way, put over 5k towing miles on it with our camper. Of which 2k was in the middle of this summer with not a single issue. Very happy with it and glad I didn’t go the plastic tank route again!
That is good to hear, just installed mine tonight. Had to trim the rubber on the bottom and used the same fittings from the radiator but instead i did a 8an to 1/2 hard line compression fitting. Looks goood so far, i will take it on an extended test drive tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210824_202556.jpg
    20210824_202556.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 126

That is good to hear, just installed mine tonight. Had to trim the rubber on the bottom and used the same fittings from the radiator but instead i did a 8an to 1/2 hard line compression fitting. Looks goood so far, i will take it on an extended test drive tomorrow.
Nice! Hope everything works out!

Back