New amp, running speaker wire

KiloWatts

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
Here's the sitch:

I had a couple subs years ago in my Explorer. The amp was mounted under the rear passenger-side seat. I removed the subs and cut the speaker wire, but the 12V, Remote, Ground, and RCA wires remain.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I think the wiring is doing currently:

1) Aftermarket radio plugs into amp bypass harness.
2) Wires run back to the factory amp, bypassing it, and sends the signal directly through to the speakers.

Since everything is already run to my rear passenger-side seat, I want to make it easy on myself and just run the speaker wires back to the factory amp location and splice them onto the speaker-harness there. Is this possible? I'm not missing anything, right?

If all looks well, this'll be a 30-minute job :D

I'm sorry, your question is a little confusing. What is your desired outcome? Are you trying to use the factory amp? If not, isn't the current setup what you are going for (speaker outs from head unit going to amp harness, but bypassing amp and going direct to speakers)?

Are you just trying to relocate the bypass to the factory amp location? I also had a sub amp installed under the passenger back seat and did my own splicing to bypass the factory amp. For ease of use and changing, I moved the harness to that location from the factory amp location and did the splicing right there at the end of the harness.

Yes you can run speaker wires to the factory amp harness. You will need to cut the speakers wires from the harness & then connect the ends goign to the speakers to the aftermarket amp.
The wires are thin & old. You may get some feedback. The better route is to run the cable to the speakers directly from the aftermarket amp. However it should work.
Wires colors for the 92....
Left Front (+) Orange/Green
Left Front (-) Blue/White
Right Front (+) White/Green
Right Front (-) Green/Orange

Left Rear (+) Pink/Green
Left Rear (-) Brown/Yellow
Right Rear (+) Orange/Red
Right Rear (-) Black/White

Back