New ball joint pops out of new control arm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New ball joint pops out of new control arm

Cajun One

Reaction score
City, State
Rowlett TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
I replaced the upper control arm on my 02 Explorer XLS and the ball joint popped out after 2 weeks also replaced the lower ball joint and sway bar end links when I did the upper on both sides. The tie rod ends or good. The new ball joint does not have the grease zerts. Can I put a 1/4 inch thick steel strap across the top of the ball joint and bolt it to the control arm to keep it in place with grade 8 bolts???????????????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why don't you just return the part and get something better?

Why don't you just return the part and get something better?
I couldn't agree more.

This is a major part of your suspension system. God forbid that ball joint comes all the way off the UCA when you are on the highway at 65 mph. You could end up with nothing holding the top of the wheel knuckle to the suspension if the bolt breaks. The part is defective if the ball won't stay in place, so take it back and get a replacement.

Needless to say, I would drive to the parts store in another vehicle.

LMHmedchem

The ball joint popped out of what? The a-arm itself? Or the knuckle?

Control Arms have become a ****** market. There are no quality units out there anymore, including those that came OE. There are however, always a bottom feeder in every market.

Where'd you get them?

The ball joint popped out of what? The a-arm itself? Or the knuckle?

Control Arms have become a ****** market. There are no quality units out there anymore, including those that came OE. There are however, always a bottom feeder in every market.

Where'd you get them?

I bought them on line el cheapo ones I could send them back but its going to be a hassel . The bj did not pop out all the way out of the UCA is up about 1/8 inch. Maybe have it welded???

Not sure what make I installed on mine but they came with snap rings unlike oem that are only press fit. Have had no issues with mine but I do not skimp on quality with suspension parts.

Replied to wrong poster.

I still have the factory UCA for both sides if I can find new upper ball joints with snap rings I would replace the ones in the factory UCA. Does anyone know where I can buy new upper ball joints with snap rings?????

I still have the factory UCA for both sides if I can find new upper ball joints with snap rings I would replace the ones in the factory UCA. Does anyone know where I can buy new upper ball joints with snap rings?????
If you have the UCA off of the vehicle, it should be pretty easy to press in a new ball joint. The good ones seem to go for about $50 each. You can rent or borrow a ball press from your local parts store. Just make sure that the UCA is in good shape, meaning not starting to rust out, etc.

You can get the motocraft OE part from rockauto for a little over $100
MOTORCRAFT MCSOE13 front left upper ($104)
MOTORCRAFT MCSOE12 front right upper ($107)

I don't see a Motocraft upper ball joint at rockauto, so maybe Motocraft doesn't sell them separately from the UCA.

LMHmedchem

I would like to find a ball joint that has a snap ring to help hold it in place

The OEM upper ball joint has smooth edges. When I did mines I used Moog and it had knurles on the sides . There were no snap rings for the uppers. The ball joint slides from the top of upper control arm and into knuckle and the castle nut and washer bolts up from the knuckle. They should bolt towards each other. If you have a gap at the top I wonder if you had the nut tighten fully. I assume your new UCA came with the ball joints already pressed in?

The snap rings are used on the lower ball joints.

I bought them on line el cheapo ones I could send them back but its going to be a hassel . The bj did not pop out all the way out of the UCA is up about 1/8 inch. Maybe have it welded???
Lesson learned. Don't compromise safety buying dirt cheap suspension parts of unknown quality and orgin.
Order two Moog K80008 replacements and start over by following this sticky. Alignment will also be needed.

Sticky: How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249135

Mevotech is knurled and has snap ring and zerk fitting.

Thank you everyone a lot of great information here and I will order the good quaity UCA from now on, thanks again:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back