New Battery,New Alternator still no charge but battery guage shows half! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Battery,New Alternator still no charge but battery guage shows half!

CJDZ24_Z28

Reaction score
City, State
Mays Landing NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLODER 4.6
Hello all I have a very annoying problem with my 02 V8 Explorer. I replaced the Alternator and the Battery. The battery still doesn't charge. In this pic I actually have jumper cables plugged up. The guage shows half battery but when I unplug the cables the truck shuts down. I will check the voltages tomorrow but I just find this really weird. Anything I should be looking for? Maybe a certain fuse or fusible link??

2011-12-30_16-35-53_422.jpg

My Haynes manual shows 2 fusible links on the alternator output line before it gets to the battery junction box. These links may actually be mounted in the main fuse/relay panel under the hood.

Fusible Line C (18 GA-BRN) is between ORG/ LT BLU (Alt. output) and BRN conductors.

Fusible Link A (12 GA-GRY) is between the BRN conductor and YEL/WHT conductors.

Fusible Link B (12 GA-GRY) is on the BLK/ORG (Alt. B+ output) and appears spare or for testing.

Find the fusible links and check them. If link A is bad, you may be able to swap it out for link B as part of troubleshooting.

AFIK the oil-p and batt are dummy gauges anyways, they don't show any real reading.

Back