New Battery Time..No more Optima Red Top! Hello, O'Reilly AGM? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

New Battery Time..No more Optima Red Top! Hello, O'Reilly AGM?

2TimingTom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
So apparently Oreily can't get the battery around here. The store clerk said it was "unavailable".

Autozone has 2 of theirs in stock.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

J_Train

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt v8
hmm interesting thread will keep my eye on this a lot of info.

mr_valingo

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport
Well my bluetop finally died. Picked up a diehard platinum agm online for $198. It handles my sound system and lights effortlessly and i've used my winch prolly 12 times so far without have to stop to charge

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Well my bluetop finally died. Picked up a diehard platinum agm online for $198. It handles my sound system and lights effortlessly and i've used my winch prolly 12 times so far without have to stop to charge

My Sears die hard agm is now 3 years old and working well. Its even been used to power a 12v welder and held up really well.

I "think" its actually an odesy battery, but i'm not sure.

~Mark

mr_valingo

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport
I "think" its actually an odesy battery, but i'm not sure.

Yeah i read that too somewhere when i researched em. Either way it's a beast at 60lbs and the odessy version was twice the price

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
Yes, the Sears DieHard Platinum AGM battery is made by Odyssey/EnerSys in the USA for Sears/DieHard. It's the exact same battery as they offer in the more expensive Odyssey brand just in a grey case with DieHard labels and a warranty through Sears. Odyssey/Enersys has stated it publicly and you can even contact them yourself and they will tell you, they aren't hiding it at all.

I've been well pleased with mine so far as well, several years along and not the slightest issue.

mr_valingo

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport
Well, the die hard outlived the exploder and has been starting my Land Rover with ease. It's almost at four years old and when I attempt to test it, the fancy shmancy doohickey just wants to charge the battery. Won't load test. Truck still starts fine. Can leave aux lights on for hours, use the winch, jam out to the stereo and she still cranks up. I just let the truck sit for a few weeks and it cranked right up. Gonna have to take it in to sears and let them test it. I see they discontinued the platinums. Hopefully I'll get a refund

UtahX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
My yellow top is still going good, since I believe around 2011.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
This Duracell AGM from Sam's Club seems to be the best deal going right now. I have had poor luck recently with Optima.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...ze-78dtagm/prod3590233.ip?xid=plp:product:1:3

That's a smoking deal for an AGM with 120 Min reserve. Only 20 amp hour, but still a respectable 775 CCA and dual terminals. I just might give it a try. Thanks!

I looked up the super start extreme, and they must have changed it up, or not available in my area.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
That Duracell looks like the Sears Platinum which they discontinued.

Speaking of batteries... Do you use wet golf cart batteries in your RV or AGM?

Four Interstate golf cart batteries in the RV. It has a Xantrex inverter system that allows me to run everything inside the coach on battery power when dry camping. It also fast charges the batteries in about 20 minutes when the generator is running. I need to redo the solar panels, its the weak link.

That's a smoking deal for an AGM with 120 Min reserve. Only 20 amp hour, but still a respectable 775 CCA and dual terminals. I just might give it a try. Thanks!

I looked up the super start extreme, and they must have changed it up, or not available in my area.

A bunch of guys on pirate have bought them and all positive reviews.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
@Stic-o , Been a few years now, got an update on the O'Rielly AGM?

Funny enough I actually had to replace it a few weeks ago. Stopped holding a charge. So I just swapped it out for the same thing.

Dono

347 V8 Limited turbo
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Limited V8
For us Canadian guys, the best deal I found at this time is agmautobattery dot ca
They provide free shipping and you are only charged one tax. I also found the batteries were about $50.00 cheaper than other places in Canada.

Shipping was extremely fast. I had my battery within 3 days of ordering.

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
Good thread. My discontinued DieHard P-2 is STILL going strong. Receipt dated 12-18-2009.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I went and got the Duracell AGM from Sams. Total was $160. ($18 core charge and sales tax)

I had $65 in cash rewards, and applied it to this, and out the door was $95. :bounce:

I might keep the old temporary battery as it is still good. I just needed another AGM to replace the Optima that crapped out.36 month FULL replacement too! Not that prorated crap.

Once again, the forum helped out, and saved me some $$ :thumbsup:

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Let us know in about six months how its doing. I seem to be getting about a year, two at the most out of my Optima's lately. Costco quit selling them because of the high return rate. I guess I was part of the problem, since I would rotate the two batteries in the Explorer and return one every year (so each battery was no more than two years old). Did that for about 10 years. I love their return policy. They don't carry AGM batteries anymore.

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
I can tell its time to renew a dead thread. :)

For anyone curious, NAPA also carries an AGM line of batteries. They average around 180 if I remember right, and carry a 75 Months/18 Months Free Replacement warranty. And there are NAPA store all over that can take care of any warranty concerns.

Oh, in case you didn't realize it, I now work for NAPA. :)

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I can tell its time to renew a dead thread. :)

For anyone curious, NAPA also carries an AGM line of batteries. They average around 180 if I remember right, and carry a 75 Months/18 Months Free Replacement warranty. And there are NAPA store all over that can take care of any warranty concerns.

Oh, in case you didn't realize it, I now work for NAPA. :)
So the obvious question arises, can you get us a discount??:)