New Battery Time..No more Optima Red Top! Hello, O'Reilly AGM? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Battery Time..No more Optima Red Top! Hello, O'Reilly AGM?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm interesting thread will keep my eye on this a lot of info.

Well my bluetop finally died. Picked up a diehard platinum agm online for $198. It handles my sound system and lights effortlessly and i've used my winch prolly 12 times so far without have to stop to charge

Well my bluetop finally died. Picked up a diehard platinum agm online for $198. It handles my sound system and lights effortlessly and i've used my winch prolly 12 times so far without have to stop to charge

My Sears die hard agm is now 3 years old and working well. Its even been used to power a 12v welder and held up really well.

I "think" its actually an odesy battery, but i'm not sure.

~Mark

I "think" its actually an odesy battery, but i'm not sure.

Yeah i read that too somewhere when i researched em. Either way it's a beast at 60lbs and the odessy version was twice the price

Yes, the Sears DieHard Platinum AGM battery is made by Odyssey/EnerSys in the USA for Sears/DieHard. It's the exact same battery as they offer in the more expensive Odyssey brand just in a grey case with DieHard labels and a warranty through Sears. Odyssey/Enersys has stated it publicly and you can even contact them yourself and they will tell you, they aren't hiding it at all.

I've been well pleased with mine so far as well, several years along and not the slightest issue.

Well, the die hard outlived the exploder and has been starting my Land Rover with ease. It's almost at four years old and when I attempt to test it, the fancy shmancy doohickey just wants to charge the battery. Won't load test. Truck still starts fine. Can leave aux lights on for hours, use the winch, jam out to the stereo and she still cranks up. I just let the truck sit for a few weeks and it cranked right up. Gonna have to take it in to sears and let them test it. I see they discontinued the platinums. Hopefully I'll get a refund

My yellow top is still going good, since I believe around 2011.

This Duracell AGM from Sam's Club seems to be the best deal going right now. I have had poor luck recently with Optima.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durac...ze-78dtagm/prod3590233.ip?xid=plp:product:1:3

That's a smoking deal for an AGM with 120 Min reserve. Only 20 amp hour, but still a respectable 775 CCA and dual terminals. I just might give it a try. Thanks!

I looked up the super start extreme, and they must have changed it up, or not available in my area.

That Duracell looks like the Sears Platinum which they discontinued.

Speaking of batteries... Do you use wet golf cart batteries in your RV or AGM?

Four Interstate golf cart batteries in the RV. It has a Xantrex inverter system that allows me to run everything inside the coach on battery power when dry camping. It also fast charges the batteries in about 20 minutes when the generator is running. I need to redo the solar panels, its the weak link.

That's a smoking deal for an AGM with 120 Min reserve. Only 20 amp hour, but still a respectable 775 CCA and dual terminals. I just might give it a try. Thanks!

I looked up the super start extreme, and they must have changed it up, or not available in my area.

A bunch of guys on pirate have bought them and all positive reviews.

@Stic-o , Been a few years now, got an update on the O'Rielly AGM?

Funny enough I actually had to replace it a few weeks ago. Stopped holding a charge. So I just swapped it out for the same thing.

For us Canadian guys, the best deal I found at this time is agmautobattery dot ca
They provide free shipping and you are only charged one tax. I also found the batteries were about $50.00 cheaper than other places in Canada.

Shipping was extremely fast. I had my battery within 3 days of ordering.

Good thread. My discontinued DieHard P-2 is STILL going strong. Receipt dated 12-18-2009.

I went and got the Duracell AGM from Sams. Total was $160. ($18 core charge and sales tax)

I had $65 in cash rewards, and applied it to this, and out the door was $95. :bounce:

I might keep the old temporary battery as it is still good. I just needed another AGM to replace the Optima that crapped out.36 month FULL replacement too! Not that prorated crap.

Once again, the forum helped out, and saved me some $$ :thumbsup:

Let us know in about six months how its doing. I seem to be getting about a year, two at the most out of my Optima's lately. Costco quit selling them because of the high return rate. I guess I was part of the problem, since I would rotate the two batteries in the Explorer and return one every year (so each battery was no more than two years old). Did that for about 10 years. I love their return policy. They don't carry AGM batteries anymore.

I can tell its time to renew a dead thread. :)

For anyone curious, NAPA also carries an AGM line of batteries. They average around 180 if I remember right, and carry a 75 Months/18 Months Free Replacement warranty. And there are NAPA store all over that can take care of any warranty concerns.

Oh, in case you didn't realize it, I now work for NAPA. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can tell its time to renew a dead thread. :)

For anyone curious, NAPA also carries an AGM line of batteries. They average around 180 if I remember right, and carry a 75 Months/18 Months Free Replacement warranty. And there are NAPA store all over that can take care of any warranty concerns.

Oh, in case you didn't realize it, I now work for NAPA. :)
So the obvious question arises, can you get us a discount??:)

Back