new best 0-60 time......into the 5s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new best 0-60 time......into the 5s

QuadCam

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8 AWD Limited
Recently, I had been having some troubles with my nitrous system. We kept fidling with the jets, but it didn't seem to be making any more power.

Today, I finally figured out what was wrong. My remote bottle valve opener had broken; it would not stay open. for some reason, the valve was closing on its own.

so, I removed the remote opener; WOW, now I was getting full power. I drove over to my friend's house and borrowed his g-tech meter. I know that these meters aren't perfect but it is decent.

I had good bottle pressure (around 1000 psi); the bottle was about half empty though (I was losing pressure during my run). I powerbraked the engine; brought the revs up to about 2200 rpm. Then, I floored it and released the brake, simultaneously. All 4 tires screeched (AWD) for a second. That was a pleasant surprise. The truck was really pulling hard. though 1st gear, shifted at 4600, then through 2nd gear, and I let off.

I looked at the meter and it was flashing "0-60 5.78"

I was really happy. The last time I tested the 0-60, I only had a 75 shot of nitrous. It ran 6.5 seconds then. This time, I had the jets adjusted to approximately 125 hp.
We probably need to play with the fuel jets some, but I am happy with the power......for now.

I really am starting to love nitrous,

Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one word, WOW

slick

thanks

slick,

It really is "wow" when the nitrous hits right off the line. Because I have no real wheel spin, you get planted in the seat in 1st gear.

it is quite a rush in a 4900 pound (with driver and a full tank) SUV.

thanks,

Andrew

Hey, what was your 1/4 mile time? Nice 0-60, though.

Originally posted by QuadCam
. . .I looked at the meter and it was flashing "0-60 5.78"

I was really happy. The last time I tested the 0-60, I only had a 75 shot of nitrous. It ran 6.5 seconds then. This time, I had the jets adjusted to approximately 125 hp.
We probably need to play with the fuel jets some, but I am happy with the power......for now.

I really am starting to love nitrous,

Andrew

Do you have a track close by that you can run it in? I would like to see 1/4 mile times measured at a track. With a 5.8 0-60, you should be running in the mid 14 second range. The tests I have seen of the Salleen Explorer with the SuperCharger have it doing the 1/4 mile in around 15.2 seconds. I don't remember how much HP the blower added, but I believe it is around 100-125. For the price you have in your NOS, it sounds like you got your moneys worth as long as your engine holds together. I have had my G-Tech for 4 or 5 years now and know how inaccurate they can be, although they do repeat pretty well especially if I average several runs. I use it now to get an estimate of performance mods. Unfortunately the 0-60 time is the most inaccurate part of it. What makes the biggest error is how you take off. If the launch is real hard it seems to read much lower than it should. For curiosity we tried it in my Friends 2000 Lightning. It gave us a 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds. I know his truck is quick, but I doubt if it is that quick.

[Edited by Robert on 12-01-2000 at 10:25 AM]

Back