New BFG ATs - review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New BFG ATs - review

Hey everyone,

After spending about a week reading up about tires and reading reviews and comparing prices I finally found my new set of tires for my 98 XLT. I just got a set of 30x9.5/15 BFG All Terrain T/A KO tires from a local tire shop out here in Victoria.

I ended up gettin a pretty good deal on them which is one of the reasons why I went with the tire actually. The shop was cheaper than any online dealer I could find including ebay.

I was originally looking at a less aggressive tire, like a Michelin LTX M/S or another AT the Yoko Geolander HT/S. But the BFGs were always on my list and at the price I got I couldn't pass them up.

I didn't want to go with the 31x10.5 tire size because I was concerned about fuel mileage and possible rubbing, even though i've seen pictures of others fitting them in. I'm pretty pumped about the look of these tires, they look awesome on the X, I got the raised white letters showing.

They definitly are a bit louder on the highway than my previous highway all season tires, but they don't seem that much louder, and when you have the music going you can't hear a difference.

Overall i'm really happy with these tires, and I think for the price they are probably a better value than some of the more expensive tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures?

Just did a rotation Friday, and found out I still have about 10,000+ miles left on them, I already have 48,000+. Bought them in Jan 05. Not Bad At All.

the only problems I had with my BFG ATs was at around 50K miles the outside tread chunked off and caused some vibrations on the road. other than that they were a great tire, never been more confident in the snow/ice then with the BFGs.

I just bought a set of 31x10.50x15's and I love them. I go off-road a lot with my job and These tires handle better than any others I have ever used. great at 75mph too!

I got 80,000 out of a set on my Ranger.

I was hearing that they were really noisy from alot of people but I didn't really know what to expect because I haven't had a real truck tire like this before. I definitly notice that they are alot louder than the previous tires which were Wranger RT/S but it's not as bad as I expected from what people were sayin, and you get used to it pretty quickly. I can't hear them over my music.

So far I am pretty happy. Even though its summer i'm lookin forward to drivin in some snow now hah.

I have pics on the way.

great snow traction.. actually great traction in any condition. If I had the money I would be buying a brand new set for my DD, but I need some MTs for my trail truck something fierce so the money is going towards those.

I don't know about in the states but for some reason these tires seem to be fairly cheap in BC. The shop I got them from gave me the set cheaper than it would have been to go online from any site, TireRack, Ebay etc.

They were cheaper than most of the Highway all season sets I was looking at.

Was looking at these today and comparing them with the GY Wrangler Duratracs. Dude in the shop told me he's had bad experience with the BFGs in the rain. Says they're great in dirt but on the street, they tend to slide a bit, especially in the rain. Anyone have any experience like this? I'd never heard anything like this about these tires before, so it kinda seemed odd/concerning.

I need to haul serious ass around town, and I have ZERO interest in spending $800+ on a set of tires that's going to slip in the rain.

Was looking at these today and comparing them with the GY Wrangler Duratracs. Dude in the shop told me he's had bad experience with the BFGs in the rain. Says they're great in dirt but on the street, they tend to slide a bit, especially in the rain. Anyone have any experience like this? I'd never heard anything like this about these tires before, so it kinda seemed odd/concerning.

I need to haul serious ass around town, and I have ZERO interest in spending $800+ on a set of tires that's going to slip in the rain.

I had them on my 02 and never had any problems with them in the rain, now in the dirt they sucked compared to other tires but that is probably because I'm used to an MT.

Best street -truck- all season tire- I have ever owned. Dry or wet, these rock.

Thick Mud is the only poor traction I have found with these, for everything else, you can't go wrong.

When there is deep snow, I use the rig with these tires, not the rig with bigger MT's on it.

The OLD BFG A/T had more issues, but the NEW BFG A/T KO (Key feature On and Off road traction) has a slightly revised tread pattern, and slightly different compound, so the stories that may be from older tires don't always apply.

An All-Terrain tire still won't do as well in the wet/rain as say, a fully siped all-season with water channels, but the BFG is okay for what it is. I don't doubt that they would have more slip than an all-season on pavement, but then again that would be a premium all-season tire. The BFG A/T KO would probably outperform a low end all season. Also keep in mind you don't always WANT high performance grip on an SUV. It can be preferable for a tire to slip or slide rather than have it grip and tip the SUV up on two wheels, or completely over. Ford had warning stickers on lots of the 1st gens about this, not to replace the factory tires with anything of the grippy high performance variety, due to the danger of rollover from increased cornering grip.

The BFG A/T KO seem to be a good all-around tire if you want something streetable that can still do off road. They don't excel at one or the other. They are apparently great for snow as well, though I have heard their snow going ability declines rapidly with increased treadwear. If this wasn't the case, I'd likely be driving on a set rather than LTX M/S's

I would go with the BFG's (made by Michelin) over Goodyear any day, as apparently getting Goodyear to honor their warranty is not easy. It also depends on price as well, plenty of people go with a tire because it was on their list and they found a deal they couldn't pass up.

Thanks guys. I love the look of both tires, still a tossup right now. Might come down to price.

Thanks guys. I love the look of both tires, still a tossup right now. Might come down to price.
I had them on my sport and never really had a problem with them. I still think they are a good tire, but I like the Nitto Terra Grappler and Toyo AT.

i have never owned a set and never will. i have worked in tire shops and have seen way to man bfg a\t kos with no center tread left at around 30,000. I guess if the tire only sees dirt they wear fine, but around the city is a different story.

i have never owned a set and never will. i have worked in tire shops and have seen way to man bfg a\t kos with no center tread left at around 30,000. I guess if the tire only sees dirt they wear fine, but around the city is a different story.

That's because people over inflate them. I see tire shops put 50 psi in them and that's what they tell the owners to run at. 50 psi will cup them bad. 35 psi is all that's needed for hwy speeds and temps.

Yup I hate it when I go to a place that airs um up for you with out asking. Even then you have to check them. 35 psi is what I run also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if i didnt know someone who ran them at 32 and kept them rotated, i might let u convince me.

Back