New Black Paint Job | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Black Paint Job

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the help, i think im gonna talk to a buddy that as a paint shop and maybe go with that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take the easy way out, get a set of flares and boards paint them black and put them on, then have from the pinstripes up painted black and have new stripes put on in your choice of color. granted its only half the car, but half the car, half the cost, hopefully. And there's probly not gona be another like it for a few hundred miles.

just strip all the trim, paint the outside and the door jams.. you wont notice the difference. Esspecially since the factory color is white? come'on, pop the hood to see white will look cool imo, better then GREEN.

Good grief, I cant tell you how tired I am of hearing Macco, this that and the other thing.
A trail rig, you dont care about, fine. Mark my words, you WILL NOT get show quality from Macco. You will barely get show it to your neighbors dog quality.
It is pure ecconomics. Like Glaicer eluded to. For a $400.00 paint job, how much of that goes into labor, materal, and then profit.

$6-7k is a damn good figure for an SUV color change.

One other thing, good luck finding a place that will paint some thing preped out side of the shop. De-trim ( removing all the parts ) is huge and will take a large amout of the cost away, but leave the prep work to the folks that do this stuff every day of their lives.

If you dont believe me on this I can submit my resume'

My son just had his stang painted with that stuff that changes colors, not a clue as to how it works, but the paint and the CC alone was 2 grand, thats nuts.

yeah "Chrom-illusion " as PPG calls it is awesome stuff. WAY costly for sure. There is a lot of after market knock off flip-flop paint, but none have the depth of the higher end stuff.

I like seeing that stuff on more round vehicles. It doesnt dance as much on flat surfaces. I saw a new beetle with that stuff. It was un real. It looked like a disco light show sitting still :thumbsup:

i have tried and tried again to spray paint and it never comes out right. i'd say do all of the prep work yourself. that means sand the entire vehicle with 180, then 220. get a gun, tape off everything and spray some primer. since you sand primer, if you mess up no big deal. wet sand your primer with 360, 400, then 600. it will be baby smooth and you'll only spend about $150. then take it to maaco or something like that and have them paint it. of course, you get what you pay for so make sure it's the two stage paint, not the single stage. you need the basecoat/clearcoat. they mass order paint so it's cheap for them, it's all in the man hours for prep. save yourself a lot of money and prep it yourself.

i would have macco paint mine but i beat the hell out of it offroad so if the paint will only look good the day it comes out of the shop lol and im ok with that but yea 6-7k is wat your looking at for a quality paintjob

Maaco said 995 (I get a discount because of who I work for) for just the body its an extra 100 for each door jam and if you get under the hood done its more. Lets say you get the body and 4 door jams that like 1395. (thats with the 600 "Supreme" paint).

not to highjack the thread, but i was looking at getting a paint job on my X. it is black, and i just wanted to get it painted black again. no major problems, just dings and chips from over the years, no cancer or rust at all. how much would i bee lookin at?

Just what I said above, mines black and I would like to get it resprayed.

MONMIX said:
Good grief, I cant tell you how tired I am of hearing Macco, this that and the other thing.
A trail rig, you dont care about, fine. Mark my words, you WILL NOT get show quality from Macco. You will barely get show it to your neighbors dog quality.
It is pure ecconomics. Like Glaicer eluded to. For a $400.00 paint job, how much of that goes into labor, materal, and then profit.

$6-7k is a damn good figure for an SUV color change.

One other thing, good luck finding a place that will paint some thing preped out side of the shop. De-trim ( removing all the parts ) is huge and will take a large amout of the cost away, but leave the prep work to the folks that do this stuff every day of their lives.

If you dont believe me on this I can submit my resume'

Just bumping and copying this post. As with detail shops, you get what you pay for. Paint shops are the same way. Maaco is the equivalent of $1.50 spray wand wash. If you want function over form, Maaco works. If you prefer form and a truly quality job, I'd advise you to look toward a highly reputable shop.

about 5 years ago, I had a Firebird, we put a new hood, both fenders, bumper, and drivers side door on it, all from a blue donor firebird. With all the prep time, which was probably like 25+ hours (complete guess, its been a while) the black paint was like 150 I think, the thinner was anther 50 I Think, and the gun and all we spent like 500 bucks, but I did learn one thing from this experience. When you are painting your first car, with no experience. No matter how good you think its gonna look, DONT PAINT IT BLACK. Every little thing shows up with black paint, I mean everything. Thankfully we just rubbed it out real good and sprayed again and it looked good, but I mean black just shows everything.

Onto another note, my car got egg'd back in Dec. and my insurance gave me almost 500 bucks for the damage, so I'm taking it in to my girlfriends uncle and he is fixing the damage and all the door dings and what not for $1k, thats with fresh paint and clear and everything, which I think is good because he's a great painter, basically just charging me his cost. Then I'm gonna monotone it. Good luck with whatever you chose!

my brother is a mechanic with the sheriffs department and the owner of the shop that does the major bodywork and paint on the cars said he would shave and paint his entire truck (2000 expedition) whatever color he wanted for $800. and this is including shaving the roof rack, doorjambs, engine compartment..the whole nine yards ...he would do it for even less he said if he would remove the emblems and whatever he could before he dropped it off. he will do mine for $650

oops...i ment to say shaving the roofrack and door handles and molding and all that stuff...and then painting the door jambs etc. etc. etc.

j602 is right, it all depends on what macco you go to, just do the prep yourself take it to macco, what i plan to do if i cant paint it myself
edit: you get what you pay for, why would you want a $6,000 paint job thats gonna get snatched and dinged up anyways

*smacks self on forehead*

I am tired of repeating my self :(

Dmv

When you do paint your rig a different color, do you need to report it to the DVM? I assume different states have different rules, but I was told by the DMV person that I would need a vehicle inspector to verify the color change.

with that, what about VIN numbers when to swap things that are tagged? I noticed in our '05 Civic that EVERYTHING has the VIN on it.

Back