New box for my type r 12's???? Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New box for my type r 12's???? Help!!!

OGWhiteRob216

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
:navajo::navajo::navajo:

Thanks to this forum I got a nice ass system... I wanna get a new box for my 2 ohm type r 12's, there in a sealed box now and I wanna get a ported box... heres what crutchfield recommends. and heres a link to a 4 cu/ft box on ebay... should i get this or can i get a better one for the subs? i dont know what i want... a 3.4 cu/ft box??? what about the port for 2 subs???

" 1 SUB "
"Recommended Vented Box Volume: The vented box sizes recommended by Alpine range from 0.75 cu/ft to 2.0 cu/ft. Within this range, the ideal size recommended by Alpine is 1.7 cu/ft, so this is the enclosure recommended by Crutchfield. A slot port with the following dimensions should be used with the 1.7 cu/ft enclosure: W = 12", H = 1.25", L = 21". If you cannot use a slot port in your enclosure, you will need a port tube with the following dimensions: Diameter = 3", L = 9.9".

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-ALPINE-...3153326QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:navajo::navajo::navajo:

no car audio experts can help me on this one?

dont know a thing about boxes and ports an tunning them?.....

I dont have personal experience with the type R, hopefully i'll really soon, if i can get a 15" this week.

But from what i have read they really shine in a 2.2cu.ft@33hz for 1 sub.

I dont have personal experience with the type R, hopefully i'll really soon, if i can get a 15" this week.

But from what i have read they really shine in a 2.2cu.ft@33hz for 1 sub.

Where did you read this??? and if you get the type r 15" get some type r components for your front doors... if you don't its worse than peanut butter and no jelly... TRUST ME!!!!!:thumbsup:

I've had plenty of experience with Type R's...the "factory recommended" enclosure sizes suck balls.

I have never bought a prefab except a small sealed box with was years ago for my first sub setup ever. Ever since I've been building my own

Ok... What box do i want for my subs??? If u don't know what will be best, help me understand my options so i can chose one.... How many ports should this box have... Should i go with 2.2 ft per sub? Or 1.7??? Or in between...?
What about tuning the box??? Can anyone help!~!!!!!!

Where did you read this??? and if you get the type r 15" get some type r components for your front doors... if you don't its worse than peanut butter and no jelly... TRUST ME!!!!!:thumbsup:

My PG RSD are better than type r comps, i had then and i dont like then. And i read it in caraudio.com in the 184 pages type R threat.

Ok... What box do i want for my subs??? If u don't know what will be best, help me understand my options so i can chose one.... How many ports should this box have... Should i go with 2.2 ft per sub? Or 1.7??? Or in between...?
What about tuning the box??? Can anyone help!~!!!!!!

It will work fine in that range, i dont know from personal exp, but 2.2cu.ft is what's migh be the best, but a lot of people have then in 2.0cu.ft and they work just fine, for mine i'll go bigger than alpine recomended box.

If i where you i'll to id 2.0cu.ft@33hz for a 12".

15" might go 3.5-4cuft there is where i'll put mine.

It will work fine in that range, i dont know from personal exp, but 2.2cu.ft is what's migh be the best, but a lot of people have then in 2.0cu.ft and they work just fine, for mine i'll go bigger than alpine recomended box.

If i where you i'll to id 2.0cu.ft@33hz for a 12".

15" might go 3.5-4cuft there is where i'll put mine.

WTF IS PG Rsd6c???? As long as your system isnt all bass thats cool, i cant stand people with just subwoofers and ****y mids/highs, it makes no sence to me... what about the port or port/s for my box, should i go with 2 ports ? or 1? my box is either gonna be 3.4, 4.0, or 4.4 cu/ft, i still need to do my homework..., and i still need help for tunning the box, should i go with 33hz???? im gonna check caraudio.com

I'd rather go with between 2.5-3.0 cubic ft for the type R and tune low around 25-30Hz for more SQ.

If you want a louder daily beater same Net volume but tune between 35-40Hz.

WTF IS PG Rsd6c???? As long as your system isnt all bass thats cool, i cant stand people with just subwoofers and ****y mids/highs, it makes no sence to me... what about the port or port/s for my box, should i go with 2 ports ? or 1? my box is either gonna be 3.4, 4.0, or 4.4 cu/ft, i still need to do my homework..., and i still need help for tunning the box, should i go with 33hz???? im gonna check caraudio.com

It depends on the kind of port you use, if you use rectangular port you might have just 1, but if you use circular generally you'll have 2 depending on the sub. But for port area more is better.

PG Rsd6c = Phoenix Gold rsd 6" componentes

It depends on the kind of port you use, if you use rectangular port you might have just 1, but if you use circular generally you'll have 2 depending on the sub. But for port area more is better.

not true at all about rectangular ports and round ports at all.

What matters is port AREA...NOT shape.

If the port is flared you can get by with less port area. I usually try to go with the maximum port area that is allowed within the workable dimensions.

not true at all about rectangular ports and round ports at all.

What matters is port AREA...NOT shape.

If the port is flared you can get by with less port area. I usually try to go with the maximum port area that is allowed within the workable dimensions.

I know that but for rule of thumb you wont get as much port area from 1 circular port that you will with rectangular ones, unless you want to use some 8" pipes for your ports, that's why you use 2, 3 or 4 round or flared ports.

Don;t be so technical, lot of people dont understand those terms, just try to explain plain and simple, that's what most people care, and if they want more than that they will ask or research.

Don't be so technical?? lol...this is a place of learning.

To me a ported box is more than just a box with a hole in it.

:thumbdwn:

OK GUYS NO DIS RESPECT BUT I ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS WHAT BOX WILL BE BEST.... ITS A VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD QUESTION.... IF U DONT KNOW LET ME KNOW U DONT KNOW, AND GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO FIND MY ANSWER IF U CAN.... IM SURE SOMEONE HAS RAN TEST'S ON TYPE R'S, AND THERES A PERFECT FIT... THERE ALWAYS IS A PERFECT FIT IN MY OPINION... SO PLEASE TALK TO ME IN NUMBERS.... I UNDERSTAND THEM... IM DRUNK GOOD NIGHT...

"Best" is a relative term...in enclosure design and building there is no "best"...only a "best" for a particular install and what the owner wants

what kind of music do you listen to??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbdwn:

OK GUYS NO DIS RESPECT BUT I ALL I NEED TO KNOW IS WHAT BOX WILL BE BEST.... ITS A VERY STRAIGHT FORWARD QUESTION.... IF U DONT KNOW LET ME KNOW U DONT KNOW, AND GUIDE ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO FIND MY ANSWER IF U CAN.... IM SURE SOMEONE HAS RAN TEST'S ON TYPE R'S, AND THERES A PERFECT FIT... THERE ALWAYS IS A PERFECT FIT IN MY OPINION... SO PLEASE TALK TO ME IN NUMBERS.... I UNDERSTAND THEM... IM DRUNK GOOD NIGHT...

Lol, i gonna drink in few moment, :D, from caraudio.com sweet spot is 2.2cu.ft@33-35hz, but my friend aznboi3644 has made tests for himself and he knows what he likes best, he recommend smaller box and i agree with him cause for me 2.2 is a little big, but just make some box with changeable ports that way you can play at least with the tunning freq.

Back