• Register Today It's free!

New brakes for the Explorer today

FordSVTGuy

Reaction score
City, State
New Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all. Sharing some information and pictures from the front brake job I did on my 2017 XLT this AM. Removed front stock rotors and pads at 61,800 today and replaced with Wagner E-shield rotors and Bosh Quietcast pads. Quality of the new parts seems good. The OE parts were showing their age, though the pads had some life left. Drivers side caliper bracket was showing signs of rust buildup in channels and the inner pad was notably thinner. Overall pretty straightforward brake job. I think I got everything cleaned up pretty good.

B2F26D7F-0E1F-4E60-B3DE-B245C5943B15.jpeg 99E756DB-11ED-4D20-9258-12D78899E923.jpeg F3FCA0B0-2166-4075-8F13-3C32F9A35BFE.jpeg 17E28A82-C1FE-4700-9806-67561C883C8E.jpeg

Hi all. Sharing some information and pictures from the front brake job I did on my 2017 XLT this AM. Removed front stock rotors and pads at 61,800 today and replaced with Wagner E-shield rotors and Bosh Quietcast pads. Quality of the new parts seems good. The OE parts were showing their age, though the pads had some life left. Drivers side caliper bracket was showing signs of rust buildup in channels and the inner pad was notably thinner. Overall pretty straightforward brake job. I think I got everything cleaned up pretty good.

View attachment 435334 View attachment 435335 View attachment 435336 View attachment 435337
looks good!

Ummmm......... it kind of looks like you had at least 1/3rd of the life remaining, didn't need to do the brake job for another 30K mi at this rate. Then again I can't tell by the pic how grooved the rotor was getting but the rust, is not consequential except to keep the slide rails free of it, and the pins lubed.

The result does look nice tho'!

Ummmm......... it kind of looks like you had at least 1/3rd of the life remaining, didn't need to do the brake job for another 30K mi at this rate. Then again I can't tell by the pic how grooved the rotor was getting but the rust, is not consequential except to keep the slide rails free of it, and the pins lubed.

The result does look nice th
i should have taken a picture of the driver side inner pad. It was noticeably thinner from what I think was some dragging due to corrosion on the caliper bracket.

Back